My GF broke my Mac! Loading internal HDD onto a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machappyness, Jul 2, 2014.

1. machappyness macrumors newbie

Hi, I have/had a macbook pro and my gf decided that a glass of water on the keyboard was a good idea. It's dead...but i managed to remove the HDD and buy an external case for it and it seems to work fine but when i tried to plug it in to her PC with Macdrive installed it wont mount.

Im pretty sure it is encrypted too and i have the recovery key still. What can/should i do?

Any suggestions would be amazing cos i have some very important things id love to get off it.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

any chance of using another mac to decrypt the drive? perhaps a trip to an apple store they could at least hook it up their systems and decrypt the drive then you should be able to put the files on a PC?

3. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

Quote from MacDrive knowledge base
    It looks like you will need to hook the drive up to another mac to decrypt it.

Let us know if you're successful!

4. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Get your insurance to replace the MacBook. When they collect the MacBook don't give them the hard drive (I have never returned the drives for systems repaired/replaced by warranty or insurance).

Get the new mac and then restore everything from the drive or just swap it in.

In the short term borrow a shot of another mac and turn off FileVault on the disk.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

And.... educate your girlfriend about the basics of handling liquids in close proximity to a laptop... ;)