My gf just switched to Atnt and got Iphone4. Facetime question????

bababoey14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Now when we facetime it lists a totally different number for her....but she has kept her previous Sprint number and it works fine with non-facetime calls. Why would this weird # show up only with facetime??????

bababoey14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Settings-phone. What number shows up on Facetime there? Also I think its changeable.
Hmmm but why would she have this totally different number there??? Should she just go ahead and type in her real number???

Comment

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
If she just got the phone today or within the last 48hrs, the number may not be ported over just yet. I have never had issues with ATT but for some reason my iPhone sent texts to a random person using Sprint when I text my ex-gf a few months back (only happened once and it was one text). Willing to bet it is just a network error. Restart both phones and maybe remove/re-insert the SIM card.

Comment

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Now when we facetime it lists a totally different number for her....but she has kept her previous Sprint number and it works fine with non-facetime calls. Why would this weird # show up only with facetime??????
It's her other boyfriend's phone number.

Comment

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
When yo port a number from Sprint to AT&T, AT&T gives you a brand new (temporary) phone number in order to get the account setup. When the port completes, your old number should start working on the new iPhone.

I believe she can change the "My Phone number:" section on the phone. You can speak to 611 or AppleCare to be 100% sure but thats the reason theres a different number there.

Comment

Peaugh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
My wife just got an iphone 4 and we ported both of our old numbers over. I had the same issue. my phone was using my new ported number, but Facetime was still listing the number I'd been using on the phone for a month. Here's the fix:

Go into settings>phone and turn facetime off.

Turn Phone off, then back on.

go back into settings>phone and turn facetime back on. It'll take a second to activate and it should then be using the proper number.

Comment

applekiwipeach

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
My wife just got an iphone 4 and we ported both of our old numbers over. I had the same issue. my phone was using my new ported number, but Facetime was still listing the number I'd been using on the phone for a month. Here's the fix:

Go into settings>phone and turn facetime off.

Turn Phone off, then back on.

go back into settings>phone and turn facetime back on. It'll take a second to activate and it should then be using the proper number.
This.
I had the same problem and this was the solution exactly.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.