My GF popped the "E" key off my white Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattcube64, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I looked online for instructions on how to put it back on, and found some Youtube videos and some picture-by-picture instructions. But still, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it back on.

Basically, while reaching over to get something, her fingernail must've just gotten right under the key and popped it off. I still have the two plastic pieces that snap together to make the "scissor" as some sites call it, and the key itself. And, the if I press the nub, the "e" shows up as I type.

Anyhoo, I made a Genius Bar appointment. Even if I'm outta warranty, they shouldn't give me any trouble putting it back on real quick, correct?

And, the drive is kind of a nuisance... so if anyone has some "secret suggestions" to getting the key back on, I'd gladly take them!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you checked to make sure that none of the contacts are broken? And I believe that Apple has extra keys on hand in the store so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

If by contacts you mean the little "teeth" on the actual key or the "nubs" on the plastic bits... they all seem to be there. I just think that no matter what combination I put everything on, I still do something backwards. Fail on my part... :rolleyes:

4. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. She's gone.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Not too long ago i saw a similar thread and the person claimed Apple said they would need to replace the whole keyboard... who knows tho..

7. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Well, I have the key still. There's no reason I should need a whole new KB. Everything is there, and intact. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to pop the key back on. :confused:

8. morphalex macrumors member

my suggestion is to first break up with your gf and then push the key back in..if all the contact teeth are still there, it should just pop into place

9. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I couldn't break up with her... she just got me an EyeTV for Christmas! :p