Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Well after months and months of nagging etc.

She decided she is getting mac for her college laptop. woot!

Annnyyywaaayyz, of course she needs word powerpoint etc. and she doesn't want to have to use boot camp all the time.

I'm just wondering though, who here knows which app plays the best with office?

Neo Office seems to work even better then office (of course I mean between the mac version and windows version)

I'm not sure though cuz I really never cared, most of the people I communicate with can figure out computers for themselves but she needs it for college and apparently they're picky about their formats.

So what do you guys know about this?

Should she get iWork or Office? or just go with the free neo office.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
NeoOffice will work, but it's not great, or at least it wasn't last time I checked. It was just weird-looking, weird-acting and the interface was sluggish. Office and iWork will have better compatibility (probably).

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I used to have Office 2004, Binned it for iworks, never looked back ;)
Work Word and excel its great, don't really use powerpoint so i can't comment on that.

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
That question was more of a which will work better with sending files to people on windows with office, I too prefer iwork. haha

I actually don't mind neo office's layout, maybe because when I had my windows computer I used open office.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I found that iWork didn't work well with quite a lot of the ppt files my university uses.

I now use Office 08 and think it's great. A lot better than the latest Windows Office version

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
iWork 08 works great and is what I use on a daily basis. I do recommend that someone who does intensive Excel work to just consider Office with the true version of Excel. Numbers is a good alternative but when you start working with complicated sheets it can show its downsides.

If she is just doing typing and the occasional presentation than I would definitely recommend iWork.

jon

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
well if she is going to be a student she is eligible for the student pricing on MS Office , at my school I can get it for $75 with my student ID or for $5 with my staff :D

might as well go with MS Office, it is the standard. iWork is nice but glitchy with a few extensions/plug in's that just dont work and may be needed in academic settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.