Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
She lost her phone, it's not going to be found. If she can't afford a replacement, then she should be looking for a cheap phone replacement (since you said she is "very poor").

what's confusing to me is why this thread has a smilely face on it.
It's like my girlfriend is dying, she lost her phone, she has no money....

Have you tried simply calling it again and again?

If not found look at the bright side!
A new iPhone is coming out shortly and she would probably love it if you were to buy her one.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Bottom line is, if you cant afford to buy her a new one buy her what you can afford and call it a day. Its not the end of the world. I wish you the best.

car78906

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
ok thank u everyone if any more sugggestions please let me know ill be checking on this

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

motoracer1486 said:
The problem I see is she had an iPhone 3g and came from a poor family. Can we say living beyond her means? Sounds like she needs to get a cheap phone with prepaid service.

And to the others that suggested to start a fund raising event...are you serious? Would you help someone get a top of the line phone that requires a hefty monthly bill at a fund raising event? I guarantee you guys that there are a million other people I'd rather help first than to help someone replace a phone of all things.

If you're not gong to be helpful you could at least not antagonize the OP. I mean come on man.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
just had my iphone nicked, and this is what i tried.

check your bill when it comes, or ring your service operator, and ask them to give you the numbers of anyone they called from when it was stolen to when it was blocked. you can then put the numbers in your address book on the mac it syncs with and can tell you if theyve just been calling random people from your phone book or people they know.

i handed the numbers over to the police, but havn't heard anything back for a few weeks. im thinkin of calling them myself and asking for 'john' or 'dave' and maybe try and get some names. if all else fails i'm just gonna prank them like theres no tomorro :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Doesn't she have bigger issues than a phone?

Ever deal with sick people before?

He wants to make her happy, and getting her a replacement would make her happy since he stated that her whole life was on her phone before which means she used it a lot.

Happy people live longer with a disease then miserable people with same thing.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Actually it seems the miserable bastards live forever.

The only thing you can do is check the area where she may have lost it.

Just because it went dead in 3 hours don't mean someone turned it off, lying in the cold wet outdoors could have killed the phone even if it had a full charge. Do they have any homeowners/renters insurance they sometimes will cover them.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Let me say that this is a horrible thread, and shows the TRUE nature of our conceited and materialistic society.

If you took this story to the news im fairly sure you'd have enough money to buy a new iPhone and maybe more pretty soon. Start a facebook group, myspace group, website, paypal donation account etc to get your message out there. This is so wrong but i guess the theif didn't know your gf's situation.

So you mean to tell me that the news will hop on this story of a lost iPhone from a cancer patient in the hopes of either raising money for a new luxury device? :rolleyes:

Know what, after working for many news agencies and being in the workforce filled with the typical American population, I can see that happening. Reminds me of an episode of the Oblongs.

Maybe they should raise money for her cancer..... maybe...? ;)

The problem I see is she had an iPhone 3g and came from a poor family. Can we say living beyond her means? Sounds like she needs to get a cheap phone with prepaid service.

And to the others that suggested to start a fund raising event...are you serious? Would you help someone get a top of the line phone that requires a hefty monthly bill at a fund raising event? I guarantee you guys that there are a million other people I'd rather help first than to help someone replace a phone of all things.

You Sir Motoracer, have the MOST sense of anyone on this thread, along with those that suggest he just buy her a new phone and suck it up. Tis the consequences of owning an iPhone and should have been something KNOWN before the purchase was made.

If I had to choose where to send my dollar and it were between a loving family trying to get their daughter, a cancer patient, an iPhone 3G; or a loving family trying to keep their home.... nuff said.

first of all she got it as a gift for having cancer second of all they are not dirt poor

We can understand, but motoracer is CORRECT. Maybe you should buy her an iPod Touch, used, 1st gen, from a friend for cheap. And stop criticizing the thief like he stole the phone from her at gun point knowing she was a cancer patient then beat her in the face.

I am more than sure that someone picked it up off the ground and said, "O, an iPhone.... I can sell this for $200 and maybe eat for the next month."

Ever deal with sick people before?

He wants to make her happy, and getting her a replacement would make her happy since he stated that her whole life was on her phone before which means she used it a lot.

Happy people live longer with a disease then miserable people with same thing.

True, but we are talking about an IPHONE, not something from her childhood or something that has a TON of sentimental value that CAN'T be returned.

Flame away!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
True, but we are talking about an IPHONE, not something from her childhood or something that has a TON of sentimental value that CAN'T be returned.

Flame away!

Huh? You are not making any sense. Who cares what it is. If she likes it a lot and it can be replaced then so let him do all the work he has to do to get it replaced. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this issue. It is only 200$ if he does it by cancelling the contract in 30 days or even buying a refurbed iphone 3g for 99$ bucks right now.

So you mean to tell me that the news will hop on this story of a lost iPhone from a cancer patient in the hopes of either raising money for a new luxury device?
rolleyes.gif

Know what, after working for many news agencies and being in the workforce filled with the typical American population, I can see that happening. Reminds me of an episode of the Oblongs.

Maybe they should raise money for her cancer..... maybe...?
wink.gif
Local newspaper has been known to do this for their COMMUNITY. Community does actually come around to do some GOOD for their PEOPLE.

Nobody is asking him to go to CNN and make it the frigging national news.

You Sir Motoracer, have the MOST sense of anyone on this thread, along with those that suggest he just buy her a new phone and suck it up. Tis the consequences of owning an iPhone and should have been something KNOWN before the purchase was made.

If I had to choose where to send my dollar and it were between a loving family trying to get their daughter, a cancer patient, an iPhone 3G; or a loving family trying to keep their home.... nuff said.
A fundraising does not automatically mean it is for good intentions nor does it mean that people have to donate money for nothing. A backyard sale is a fundraising.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Huh? You are not making any sense. Who cares what it is. If she likes it a lot and it can be replaced then so let him do all the work he has to do to get it replaced. I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this issue. It is only 200$ if he does it by cancelling the contract in 30 days or even buying a refurbed iphone 3g for 99$ bucks right now.

It makes perfect sense, but (no offense) you just don't understand it.

It's an iPhone, what I (and you and others) am saying is either get a new one, get something like it (iPod Touch), or get over it.

Local newspaper has been known to do this for their COMMUNITY. Community does actually come around to do some GOOD for their PEOPLE.

Nobody is asking him to go to CNN and make it the frigging national news.

Either method is sick. This is a recession and people are losing BOTH their houses and jobs. Let's NOT rally together to get a girl an over priced luxury item, let's rally together to cure her cancer so she can live a long health life where she in turn fights to help other's survive cancer. I am sure that will make her happier than her iPhone.

A fundraising does not automatically mean it is for good intentions nor does it mean that people have to donate money for nothing. A backyard sale is a fundraising.

Not the same thing at all. If he said he was going to go and sell his belonging to get another iPhone, I'd have no issue (or it wouldn't be that big of a deal, I'd rather him try to help pay medical bills but... meh) or if he said he was going to sell chocolates, pies, pizza's, etc. sure.

But panhandling money for an iPhone is just NOT fundraising for a just cause, not matter how important the iPhone or luxury electronic device.

Seriously no offense or hostilities.... but fundraising or in this case giving donations is usually for good intentions. If I were selling candy and the proceeds went to killing all cats I am sure no one would want to buy chocolate unless they were apathetic the cause of cats and apathy towards something is just as bad as hating it.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
We can understand, but motoracer is CORRECT. Maybe you should buy her an iPod Touch, used, 1st gen, from a friend for cheap. And stop criticizing the thief like he stole the phone from her at gun point knowing she was a cancer patient then beat her in the face.

Flame away!

so, if i stole an iPhone without beating up a sick person, i'll be less looked down upon than if i did beat them up? stealing is stealing. but we don't even know if this phone was stolen in the first place, the title said the phone was lost.

meh i don't know what i'm sayinggg i'm too tired to give a formal opinion...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It makes perfect sense, but (no offense) you just don't understand it.

It's an iPhone, what I (and you and others) am saying is either get a new one, get something like it (iPod Touch), or get over it.

Either method is sick. This is a recession and people are losing BOTH their houses and jobs. Let's NOT rally together to get a girl an over priced luxury item, let's rally together to cure her cancer so she can live a long health life where she in turn fights to help other's survive cancer. I am sure that will make her happier than her iPhone.

Not the same thing at all. If he said he was going to go and sell his belonging to get another iPhone, I'd have no issue (or it wouldn't be that big of a deal, I'd rather him try to help pay medical bills but... meh) or if he said he was going to sell chocolates, pies, pizza's, etc. sure.

But panhandling money for an iPhone is just NOT fundraising for a just cause, not matter how important the iPhone or luxury electronic device.

Seriously no offense or hostilities.... but fundraising or in this case giving donations is usually for good intentions. If I were selling candy and the proceeds went to killing all cats I am sure no one would want to buy chocolate unless they were apathetic the cause of cats and apathy towards something is just as bad as hating it.

Dude, i don't care frankly what this guy wants to do for his girlfriend nor do I care if it is "moral". All I did was suggest ways for him to come up with money. It ain't up to me or you to tell him what to do.

Maybe fundraising is a bad choice of word, use panhandling, or selling or auction off his stuff. whatever, i dont care. he can do whatever he wants.
if he can't come up with the money. he should then move on to cheap stuff like ipod touch or a cheap ass phone. either way, he is still stuck with the contract.

Now, you or anybody else here have no right to judge him or the methods he can do or the list of suggestions that is showing up in this thread.

Let him do whatever the hell he wants to do. If you don't like it, get over it, the world ain't perfect. There are men in NYC who pretends to be homeless and panhandles money to buy drugs and crap. If you don't like the way they do that, you dont have to give them any money. Same thing for people in general. if they dont want to donate money to help some sick girl get some iphone, they don't have to donate. eventually there will be some people who is not at risk from this current recession and can afford to give some money to the guy.

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
RE: car78906

I dont mean to sound cruel but surely a mobile phone isnt her entire life.
I would think she would rather have a happy boyfriend and family whom she can spend time with during her chemotherapy rather then a piece of over-priced junk (well not junk, but in comparison with family it certainly is).

Im not too sure about the US telecoms, but surely there was a warranty option when you bought the phone that covered theft?
Regardless of whether your girlfriend has cancer, one must be protected.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
a couple of people have already said it, have you checked where you lost it? maybe someone handed it into security at these places? maybe someone handed it into the police? just maybe

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
If you really don't care much, then get a new girlfriend and your problems are solved. :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Now, you or anybody else here have no right to judge him or the methods he can do or the list of suggestions that is showing up in this thread.

Yes we do.... we really do have the privilege to do just that.

Im not too sure about the US telecoms, but surely there was a warranty option when you bought the phone that covered theft?

The sad part is that there isn't any coverage for the iPhone against anything but Apple's mistakes. You make a few sacrifices owning an iPhone in the states, the insurance is one of the biggest IMO and one that many aren't willing to take for such reasons.

If you really don't care much, then get a new girlfriend and your problems are solved. :D

Probably the easiest solution of all..... I kid. :D

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
RE: car78906

I dont mean to sound cruel but surely a mobile phone isnt her entire life.
I would think she would rather have a happy boyfriend and family whom she can spend time with during her chemotherapy rather then a piece of over-priced junk (well not junk, but in comparison with family it certainly is).

Regardless of whether your girlfriend has cancer, one must be protected.

Well you do, sound cruel that is.

When one has a serious illness it's nice to have something that you enjoy and maybe takes you away from thinking about it for just that little bit.

As for friends, I hate to tell you even your best friends and family don't hang around much when you have cancer, as it's difficult for everyone, and many people are uncomfortable. What do you talk about, the conversation topics are very limited and some find it uncomfortable.

Something like an iPhone may just make you forget and feel normal for a few minutes.

Also when dealing with something like cancer even little things that mean very little to us (without cancer) can be very stressful.

So give the guy a break, I don't agree with his assessment that someone stole the phone, it sounds like it was most likely lost, from there who knows.

The things to try are;
-Contact AT&T
-Check some of the busier shops/restaurants in the area.
-Check lost an found at the hospital
-Contact the local police precinct.
-If there is an Apple store in the area Check with them if someone turned it in.
-If it was bought with a credit card, some of them include purchase insurance.
-Check house insurance

Good luck.

Kwats

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
first of all she got it as a gift for having cancer second of all they are not dirt poor

sorry but i have to agree with motoracer on this one you seem like your asking for sympathy or something. I'm sorry your gf has problems but theres no way thats going to make a differance with the iphone situation. Basicly you should just get a cheap phone replacement and save your money untill you can get a new iphone thats really the only solution.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
1) Check whatever email account she was using on the phone and see if the idiot thief sent emails.

2) Check the phone bills for phone numbers that have been called that you or her do not recognize.

#2 is how I got my son's stolen cell phone back. Started calling every number we didn't recognize and eventually found who had it and went and knocked on their door.

The kid's mom wasn't home, but she eventually returned the phone in our mail box. Guess she was afraid to face us.

car78906

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
i was asking for this to turn into a fight i was only asking for suggestions to find her phone i wasn't asking for sympathy i don't want this thing to turn out like this if there is no way to find it ok there is no way to find it but motoracer digital skunk and pika i didn't ask for that thats not why this thread was made it was made to find a way to get her phone back i thank everyone who has backed me up on that the thing is every song every picture she ever had is on that phone thats why i want it back her computer crashed so that phone is the only thing with those things on this this sounds sympathetic thats why i didn't bring it up before if your just gonna post about saying u cant do this u cant do that then why are you posting in the first place? it doesn't make any sense to me what gives you the right to judge me this is a online thread i was only asking for suggestions and then you guys say that they are all dumb what was the point these ppl took time out of there lifes to help me and i thank them and I'm not gonna sit her and watch u bad talk them I'm sorry but get off my thread if your not going to be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.