My God, an iMac has smoother animation than a MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neutral Gamer, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I was in an Apple store yesterday and was playing around with an aluminium 24" iMac and the thing that really struck me was just how SMOOTH the animations in Leopard were, such as for Expose and Spaces. I had a 17" Hi-Res MBP for 5 months with all the latest updates installed, and whether it was running from battery or the mains, I never got animations or transitions as smooth as on the iMac.

I don't understand. I always thought of the MBP as a high spec machine, and with it's 256MB GeForce 8600M GT graphics card there shouldn't have been any difference between itself the iMac. Especially as I remember people dissing the iMac's graphics card when it was released. So what's the explanation? :confused:

Many people use their MBP's as desktop replacements when connected to an external monitor but it seems as though an iMac would offer a better user interface experience!

2. writeous macrumors regular

Maybe its cause the ATI card it has. It's drivers might be handling all of Leopards glitter better than the Nvidia one as of now.

3. Neutral Gamer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

You may be right there. I've heard how some games for example run better on nVidia / ATI cards, maybe the same can be said for Leopard's user interface. I also remember reviews where they found the previous MBP's with the ATI cards had higher frame rates in certain games.

Hmmm, I wonder how long before we see the next MBP update and the switch back to an ATI card - it does alternate normally doesn't it?

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I really hope its soon, because my MBP went from a flawless Tiger to a choppy expose. It's not the end of the world but its still annoying.

5. writeous macrumors regular

Changing to the 2D dock makes animations alot smoother. But still not as fluid as Tiger:(.

6. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any graphical issues or slowdowns with my MacBook Pro when using Exposé.