My Good Ole' Reliable - Yet Temperamental eMac!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Mar 26, 2011.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

So i just got done taking the second hard drive out of my eMac (Traded out and Optical Drive for a HDD for Time Machine some months ago). Well, i remember that "some months ago" i accidentally ripped the out shell off with no regards to the power switch and it still works, though its less sensitive now, or the time (wait, actually same time) when i kinda "broke" the video connector plastic casing that goes from the CRT Board to the Logic Board, a little of some crazy glue or whathaveyou and i managed to fix my way out of that one too. Combine these experiences with that of my first, err second gen iMac G3 (Same bondi blue, yet no infer red sensor) I even tried to over clock it with my late father's help to no avail, but we were able to undo the over clock and that Mac too is still working. But the real reason for all this is to reminisce on how reliable these older Machines are. Currently, my eMac has made it's way to my Mother's desk as i work on her compaq craptop. Today when i took it apart to remove the time machine drive, after reassembly it wouldn't start. Now usually i'd freak out but after learning all the above, and even some more undocumented instances where i messed up, i learned you need patience. These Mac's just don't seem to Quit working. I've had it to where my iMac wouldn't start, and i changed outlets, and even power cords which solved these issues. Thats why these little guys can be temperamental! Jwhathaveyouust today i had to disassemble, make sure a couple things were fastened (Which i basically just unplugged afew wires and replugged em' in) and then reassemble my eMac. I know I can't be the only one - so feel free to share your story! I love these older machines, they're the most reliable even compared to my new pc (I've had more problems with my new pc than my 5 year old mac) and although they can be temperamental, they never seem to quit.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i love my eMac's they had been the actual reason why i switched to Mac , from linux in 2009 , they are i think the most underrated Mac's of all time and dont deserve to stand in the shadow of G4 iMac's and G4 minis , ok it has a positive side you can pick them up for less then a mini or iMac costs
    now i got 4 of them and they got me hooked to Mac's since then i buy Mac's whenever i can afford one , crazy me :)

3. josh2007 macrumors member

eMacs are still the best dedicated iTunes machine around. Those speakers are incredible. I have the all-white 1GHz w/Gig RAM. Sadly I think the FW port has stopped working.

4. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Actually i had an iMac G3 as a server to my at the time main computer, the eMac. surprisingly it was fast, the iMac had a bigger hard drive so i'd keep my web design apps on it's server partition and connect to server when i needed them. I used sharepoints on OS X Jaguar. Worked really well, I'd also stream videos and store files. Suprising what you can do with a 266 Mhz iMac G3 with only 96 mb of ram.

5. Patmn macrumors member

I bought my eMac new in January 2005 and it has been super reliable! It's the 1.25 Ghz model, with a small 40GB hard drive, but it gets the job done for me. Sure, I've been dying to upgrade to an iMac, and someday I will, but I will still hang onto this eMac too! It originally only had 512mb of ram (and that was a $99 upgrade at the time!) but last year I bought an extra 1GB on eBay, so now it's up to 1.5. That made a pretty nice difference actually.

6. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

I have one to, the 1.25ghz all snow white model.. Sadly its only got 256mb ram in it.. and iam going to be pilfering its airport extreme card in the near future for my DC PM. The CRT in it is the best ive come across for playing old games and kicks any LCD thats not at its native rez.. just cant play the original starcraft on anything but a nice CRT :)

I must admit, if not used for a long time (like a year) when first powering it up the screen looks shaky and crap, but sorts itself out over the next couple of hours and a few reboots. Then its super sharp again and rock solid...

yeah there great Boxen.

:D

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Sorry for off-topic :eek:, but eMac's AP card won't work with DC G5.
    You need this with standoffs and this Vanne. Links are for reference only, they have horrible prices ;)

8. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I wish to upgrade to an iMac but can't decide whether a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.2 would serve me better. Sure I hate to be chained to my desk all day and a Laptop with mutli touch gestures would be nice so that I can sit on my bed and use the computer but for the same price i could get a 27 inch iMac with much better specs and get rid of my aging crt television plus have an awesome 27 inch for games and to show off to my sister who hates macs lol.