My GOODNESS this is frustrating. (i7 MBP oddity)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quicksilver867, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Hello all- it's been just about forever since I've posted, but something has happened that I just can't be quiet about. I bought an i7 15" MBP in May, and long story short it began having an issue in January. After several hours of being on, under any use, it would shut off the screen, become unresponsive to keyboard or mouse commands, and leave the power LED on. One time, it even left the iSight LED on when it did this in the middle of a Skype call. Fast forward to today- I'm on the 3rd (yes THIRD) logic board, and just performed a fresh OS X install and update to 10.6.7 as per my local store's recommendation. They thought this would solve the issue. About 5 minutes ago, it did the SAME thing it always has. What do I do? Bite the bullet and go for board four? (Or perhaps another assorted repair) Or ask for a new machine entirely? :confused:

/rant

Thank you guys.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

3. darkeartg macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ask for a new one man

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3rd logic board!:eek: Thats crazy. I would ask to speak to a manager and ask for a replacement instead of a repair. At this point, it makes more economical sense for Apple to just give you a new one instead of constantly replacing the board.

5. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

Strongly considering going in for my Genius Bar appointment and asking for a fresh 2.2 i7 15".

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

In many states, there are "Lemon Laws." After a certain number of repeated fixes, you are supposed to get a new product.

7. dxerboy macrumors member

Start billing them for your wasted time installing os X, reinstalling your software, etc. etc.

At least, when speaking with customer service, don't ignore how much time you've probably spent worrying about/dealing with the problem. My biggest pet peeve, I can hear it now (customer service rep reading from book): "oh just try reinstalling your operating system and all your regularly-used software"

Hours later

"nope, same problem"
    "OK, you'd better bring it in"

8. themac23 macrumors regular

Call Apple.

Ask for a Senior Advisor.

Tell them your story.

You will get a brand new 2011 MBP. I guarantee it.

Long story short. I just ended up with a 2011 2.2ghz MBP with the Hi-Res screen, 128 SSD, and 8gb RAM for $100 after just 2 repairs on my 2009. Mind you, they messed up a few times in between so they kept offering me upgrades but none the less, you will receive a new laptop for sure.

9. Reticent, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Reticent macrumors member

I'm amazed they didn't just swap out the machine ages ago (why bother with the logic board when they have perfectly good machines on the shelves). Further, when I worked for apple I always understood that keeping a customer was priority one. So it's amazing to me they didn't just swap it out. So ask for a new machine! That's the only way to go. That should've been what they did ages ago.

I'm sorry for all this rigamaroll. That's just awful. I had much lesser issues than you and two Apple stores near me swapped out the machines (I'm on my third machine rather than third logic board).

*Edit
    Don't bother calling, go in to the store and just ask for a new one. This is a ridiculous situation that I never saw when I worked at the store, nor would my manager have stood for.

10. aldejesus macrumors regular

You should receive a compensation for your patience, but probably wont happen. I guess a new MBP 2011 will be jus fine.:rolleyes:

11. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

I endured two crash/panics of the same nature AGAIN today...:mad:

Friday can't come any sooner.

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

You will get a new one. Same thing happened to me (not same symptoms, but several logicboard failures). Just be super polite and ask if they can swap you machines.

I asked the genius helping me if they ever swap machines, and he said yes. I then flat out asked if I could get a new one. He agreed since I had a few repairs on mine. Tell them that you need your computer and you have had several repairs. Also if you have all the work orders (repair slips), bring those in. When they see all those in person, they say Whoa! (They also obviously have this info in the database).

Did you get a high end 15" or low end when you bought yours? You will get the equivalent of what you bought (double check though..) You WILL LOVE the new ones! I went from an Early 08' to a Quad i7 2.2!

13. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the 2.66GHz i7 with the 512MB 330M, so I'm hoping I can swap for a 2.2GHz i7 quad with the 6750.

14. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

Update...and double post...heh

I ended up receiving what they had in stock as an equivalent- 2.3GHz quad with the AG display :D

Thank you Apple. :apple:

15. HBOC macrumors 68020