my gps isnt working after 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasMac, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ThomasMac macrumors newbie

my location cannot be determined in maps and when i try using my other location based apps they give me a BS location. anyone else have this problem?

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I tried mine this mourning and mine is not fairly inaccuracte. It use to be almost spot on now it's showing me ~75 yards from my auctual postion.

3. cere macrumors 6502

Me too. It shows me within maybe a 10 block diameter, but no blue dot. Was fine before the update. Strange

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I'm sitting in my computer room and decided to give it a shot. While a bit slower than before (I am inside after all), I still get my blue dot. I haven't checked while driving as I have the Nav/Hands-free combo option from Lexus (my Nav screen at least three times as large as my iPhone screen), but may do so next week (I only check while at stop lights - I'm not THAT crazy :D)

HawaiiMacAddict

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha again everyone,

I noticed one other thing about GPS. I have the Passcode set and the Auto-lock interval at 2 minutes. Previously, if I had the Maps app open and was using GPS to track my RX350, my iPhone never locked - it just dimmed the screen a bit. Now, with the iPhone 2.1 iPhone firmware, besides having to start Location Services prior to firing up the Map app, the Map app "forgets" the GPS location and has to reacquire. Still, as I posted above, I don't really use the GPS app, so it doesn't mater much - this action may affect someone's GPS usage, though, and I just though to pass it on.

HawaiiMacAddict

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't know if this is normal: I tried getting my location from maps with WiFi on and it got exactly where I am, (although no blue dot), when I tried with 3G I just got a big circle around the general area where I live. This was when I was inside by the way. When I went outside with 3G I got the blue dot exactly where I was.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

i tried this morning and the GPS tracking is working fine with 2.1 (well the position is not perfect on google maps showing an offset +-5 mett. plus the error radius of the GPS) , in 2.0.2 the gps stopped after 30 sec or so.

9. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

my friend has no problems with his 2.1 and gps, try asking an apple employee

10. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Hmm, to be honest I hadn't tried yet since 2.1, but I just tried and it seems to be working ok.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    mine is working just as well, if not faster, than before

12. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Mine wasn't working the first time I tried after the update either. I ended up turning 3g off and then it got a crappy fix. Then I turned 3g on and it got the blue dot right away. I think the GPS antenna just had to reset itself after the update or something. I just went out and tried it again and in worked perfectly.

Steve

13. sibruk macrumors 6502a

My GPS locks on much faster with 2.1. Coupled with the optimised speed in getting a good 3G data stream to pull back the map data, I'm much happier with it now. Still not anywhere near what Apple advertises in those ridiculous TV adverts, but I'm fine with the way it is now!