My Grandmother's Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Dec 9, 2008.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

For the past few months, my grandmother's computer has been acting up. Randomly shutting down, refusing to open applications, etc. It's 9 years old, so my dad and I figured she needed a new one. We bought one for her (the cheapest we could find, but all she does is check her email anyway, so she doesn't need a whole lot) for Christmas, and it's now currently hiding up in the top shelf of my closet.

But, here's the problem. She is a very sweet, but impulsive and stubborn women. She often buys things on a lark, and once she has her mind made up, there's no changing it. Now, she's asked my dad and I to come along with her to Circuit City to go computer shopping.

I don't want to spoil the surprise for her, but I also don't want her to go buy a computer on her own and have to return the one I got her and search for a new present for her.

So, my question is: How can I dissuade her from buying a computer, without giving away the fact that she's getting one for Christmas?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Tell her circuit city is a mess due to all the holiday shoppers, very frustrating to go there. And the best deals will come after christmas.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Simply "Grandma, I think it would really be a good idea to get you that computer after Christmas. There will be less people, and you would be able to find some good deals".

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Tell her you read online, at a highly reliable source, that computers will go on a massive sale on Dec. 26th. The PC she wants will be a great deal if she waits!

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A jinks over the internets.

1..2..3. Coke. Your it. :D

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Mind = blown

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Try "Trust me grandma, I'm a computer expert (because I'm young) and you don't want any of the computers they have in that store"

If that doesn't work, just tell her that the holidays are coming and she should wait until after them to buy a computer because there will be post holiday sales (though this might not work if your grandmother isn't very thrifty).

How old is your Grandma? If she's old enough you could hide her glasses and she'd spend the whole day looking for them :rolleyes:. Of course, that would be a little mean...

9. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

If shes like my gramma, she'll make you go to the store even if you tell her not to. If she does, I would suggest talking to the sales person (if your lucky, your gramma could have bad hearing) and tell them the situation to dissuade her.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Telling a sales person somebody wants to buy a PC is never a good idea, the sales person won't listen to you and go after the customer, pass up a sale, not a chance.

11. descartes macrumors 6502

tell her you heard there will be a huge sale on computers the day after xmas.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This is probably the line that I would use Cassie. :)

13. Stepper macrumors regular

maybe shes just trying to hint to you that she wants a new PC for Xmas lol ;)

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

January sales! If anyone wants a computer then that is really when they should go shopping at this time of year. Use this to your advantage.

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

+1