my gripe about voice commands in my car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Well I broke down and upgraded to the 3G S. Honestly I am glad I did. the speed increase is crazy.

my one gripe is voice control. It works, don't get me wrong. It is far from perfect but with a little practice it works fine and is a great feature. My problem is that when I plug my AUX cable in my car into my 3G S it renders this function unusable. Right in the place I would use it the most. It works great with the in box white apple earbuds with mic. But I wish there was a way to change the voice input to the Iphone mic so when i have It plugged into the car I can still use it.

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Are you using the headphone port to the AUX-in? Try Griffin's AutoPilot, it has the 30-pin port but has a line-level output that you can use to plug into the AUX-in.

Edit: The AutoPilot doesn't seem to be 100% compatible with the iPhone. They have another product that might work, it's the SmartTalk http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smarttalk.
    [​IMG]

3. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

$50 seems a little steep. plus I already have a car charger. I would need to find one at walmart in case i need to return it.

Blerg

4. Slypr macrumors member

Yeah same for me, when they announced the voice control feature I was thinking it would be good in the car, but it's a no go, if you use the headphone jack

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have the Kensington LiquidAUX (which kind of sucks, btw) and the Voice Control works in the car but the voice prompts and responses are played through the iPhone's speaker instead of the car speaker -- which is really annoying.

6. ajl1924 macrumors newbie

Voice control worked for me in my car using the Aux cable through the headphone jack. . . well aside from the app picking up the wrong words and playing the wrong songs. It at least attempted to understand me.

7. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I think My first attempt at using it it the car bugged my new phone. The second day I tried it just for grins and it worked perfect. I take back my first post :)

Love this feature and look forward to seeing how it expands in the future