My GTX 285 Mac Eddition is not working, great!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Apr 9, 2010.

?

What should i do?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2010.
  1. Goto Apple.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Goto Nividia Store.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Goto eVGA Website.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Cry for waisting my 500$ on the card.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. alam macrumors regular

alam

Hello
    I have a mac pro 2008 model with a GTX 285 Mac Edition and it's not working anymore, and yes i'm sure 100% the problem is from my GTX 285 not something else, the reason why i know that?
    Every time i turn my mac pro on, it lags and just do nothing but showing me the desktop and the mouse, btw i can move the mouse around, but when i press any thing i have to wait for hours to do that somthing, but when i removed it and it replaced it with my old ATI 2xxx it's working again.
    Anyways what should i do:
    Go to apple?
    Go to nvidia store?
    Go to EVGA website?
    Cry for wasting 500$?

2. unid macrumors regular

3. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I had a GTX 285 Mac Edition replacement too. I contacted EVGA first and then they gave me a certain number (some harware replacement number) and I called Apple and told them the problem and the number so they sent me a new graphics card immediately and the private post came to my home to pick up the broken one.

Easy and fast.

4. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

so i took my mac pro to apple, and so far they told me the problem is from my gtx 285, they told me to bring the recite next time i visit them, so right now i need to give them my recite tomorrow and i'll report what happened to me with apple :)
    thanks guys, next time i reply, i'll be replying regarding what happened to my gtx with apple, will they fix it, will they replace it, will they tell me there is no more of this card because its out of stock, will they tell me to goto evga or they will tell me togo cry for waisting my money

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

If it's been under a year it'll probably still be under warranty, and they'll replace it. They'll find a replacement somewhere.

If it's out of warranty, I'd just use your original card and wait until the new MPs come out, hope they come with a nice new card (new 58xx series, or a new GTX card) that is compatible with your MP and is released as an upgrade card like the did with the 4870, and then hope for better luck.

6. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well, i gave them the recite today, they told me not to worry about the card, they will replace it with another new one, but they told me that it might take up to 3 weeks until they replace it, because i guess there is a problem with the stock, apparently nvidia GTX 285 mac edition failed in every corner, please tell me if im wrong:
    1_ low stock. (it explains not many mac pro users bought this product)
    2_ high price. (thats explains why they didn't buy it) almost the same price of the new GTX 480 (http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1480-AR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family)
    3_ my card is only 4-5 months and apparently im not the only 1 who's having the same problem (all these are feedback from other people having the same problem with this card:
    https://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=231947)
    4_ right now im afraid, when i receive the new card, i'll be prying every day for the same problem not reoccur again because the next the warranty will not be on my side anymore :)

so if i had a chance to get back before the day i bought the gtx 285, i'll be getting the ati 4870 mac version or even better and get the pc version then flash it.