My hammer is itchin' for some attention (Mac mini its prize)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aussieiphone, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Aussieiphone macrumors regular

Hi there,

Attempting instal (with original Snow leopard disk) of OSX on new HD.
    Mac Mini mid-2010 unibody.
    HD gone so replaced with new one (nice guide on ifixit).
    Now usually only a white screen with a flashing folder with "?".

Multiple attempts at start up of either:

Press "C" before and after chimes with boot disk inserted (original) and no boot disk, nothing
    Press "option" key before and after chimes with boot disk inserted (original) and no boot disk, occasionally am able to select and enter the password for my wifi network on a white screen with the wifi symbol and a lov/drop down box with nearby networks, after accepting the password nothing eventuates from that point, merely a white screen, a wifi symbol and the network name - is there anyway to progress from here? Seems like best chance to proceed...
    Press "shift" key, nothing
    Press "command" + "R", nothing
    Press "command" + "option" + "R", nothing
    Press "T" and the FireWire symbol comes up, but I don't have this cable anymore (since like 2011, because I hadn't used it for about ten years prior to that)
    Press "command" + "option" + "R" + "P" to reset PRAM, chimes, then white screen, then black screen, then second chime and back to white screen, then performed the above again.

Any more key holding suggestions appreciated, not interested in reseating the HD or taking Mac mini apart again (mostly the suggestions are very appreciated by the Mac mini as a stay of execution for the crime of my wasting my time. It knows I want to go ape on it with a hammer so badly. Computers...bless).

Cheers

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Folder in this case means it can't find the OS.

So, with the disc already inserted in the drive, when you boot up holding option, the disc isn't listed? You just see a white screen? Do you see a cursor? I've found sometimes I have to hold option for awhile (over a minute) before it picks up a disc.

Do you have any other Macs available to you?

I think this is worth looking in to:
    http://diskmakerx.com

3. JohnDS, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

JohnDS macrumors 65816

Are you sure you have the right DVD? Is it one that came with that particular Mac Mini? OEM Mac install DVDs generally will work only with the particular model that they shipped with. If this is from another computer, it won't work.

Also, I believe that the Mini shipped with TWO DVD's. Are you sure you are using the right one of the two?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2016 ---
    One disk should be entitled "Mac Mini OS X Install DVD" and the other "Mac Mini OS X Applications Install DVD". It is the first one that you need.

If you cannot boot from that, do you know if in fact the DVD drive is working?
    Also, you say the original HD is "gone". What does that mean? It was no longer bootable? You have thrown it out? If you still have it and it was bootable, you could put it into an external USB case and boot from it (by holding down the option key) and then try to figure out if the DVD drive is working.

4. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mr B.

I have held option for periods of about 30 secs and the wifi business as I mentioned will usually pop up which means it won't progress (unless I enter the wifi details) however I will endeavor to see if it goes a minute without the wifi, then report the progress.
    Thanks JDS for your reply.

I have the correct DVD (purchased direct new from Apple with Mac mini).

Original HD is dead. The option key appears to do nothing, however will hold for a minute as mentioned above.

I can only assume the DVD drive is working as it was prior to HD going.

Cheers

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Look into Disk Maker above. Need another Mac though

6. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Mr B, I may try that (have another Mac) or just head down to the Apple Store. I tried holding the option key longer and it just makes the Wifi network choice (as I have described above) come up, nothing else happens (even after logging into network).

Thanks for your time.

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

8. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys. Hope to take to Apple Store tomorrow.

9. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

So...a few months later, finally had a chance to go to Apple Store/Genius Bar.

As stated previously, I had changed the HD, replaced with a new one, bought from a local store and they weren't an Apple reseller/repairer, a Microsoft/ Windows PC shop, as they had the cheapest WD 2.5" 500GB I was looking to replace the original 320GB corrupt drive.

I used the ifixit guide and replaced perfectly it turns out.

Here's the key for noobs:

The Genious had to format/erase the drive completely using their system connected to my Mac, I guess, as they mentioned something to the effect (didn't quite catch it completely) that the new drive I put in, already had a diagnostic set (in a partition perhaps I heard), that wouldn't allow them to do an install. Anyhow, after the full drive erasure, they installed the OS and all is as it should be now.

Thank goodness. My Mac lives. Watching Netflix on it as we speak...

Conclusion: replace a corrupt drive with a new one from an Apple dealer (or Apple lol) and ask if it has a partition on it that would prevent a reinstall of the Mac OSX.

Hope it helps...

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Disk Maker should help you avoid this in the future!

11. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

My MO anymore is to install on the new drive while it's still external, verify that I can boot from it, and then install. Saves the potential aggravation of having to pull it if something goes wrong.

12. 960design macrumors 68020

We have a kit that does that very thing...
    Something like this:
    eaf50d6f-0e9c-4e97-9233-a54aa2a8ce7e_1.ef575cfaee14be1671656519cb955fac.jpeg
    Ours is a bit 'fancier' or 'unfancier' if a huge headache of cables is something that kicks in your OCD.

13. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

That's looks identical to what I use.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup that is what I use also.

I know this is an older thread, but glad to hear the OP was able to get it worked out.