My Hard drive and its capacity...huh?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anti-microsoft, Jul 3, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Every time I click on an icon, a folder, shortcut, a document...(in the Finder)
    The drive capacity goes down on the bottom of the window! How do I repair this? Anyone with the same problem?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Maybe a screenshot would help. :eek:

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

is that even possible??

how much does it drop down each time?? a few mb or like gb at a time??

4. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

It drops 10 megs(avrg) every time I click an icon.

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Try restarting the computer and see if it continues afterward.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's a log bug in OSX which is when a log file keeps growing outrageously until it fills your entire hard drive. It's annoying but can easily be fixed by deleting the guilty log and restarting. Usually it's pretty quick though, so I'm not sure if it's your problem. Nevertheless, use an app like WhatSize to see if you can find where exactly all the space is being used. Naturally this is assuming the wisely fathomable dartzorichalcos's idea to restart the system doesn't help. :)

7. CaveMac macrumors newbie

Disappearing hard drive capacity due to faulty volume structure

Hey there

I had the same thing happen to me: My 5.6 GB unexplainably lost 2.3 GB over recent weeks. I recently upgraded to OS 10.3.9, and noticed that my hard drive capacity was shrinking at an alarming rate, leading to "disk almost full" alerts when running applications. At first, I assumed my new installations were the culprit (even though the file sizes were much smaller than the amount lost), and tried to circumvent the problem by deleting old files to free up space...only to discover a few days later that the 1GB I had freed up had shrunk to 500 MB. Within one day, I watched my hard disk capacity shrink from 500 MB to 350 MB to 200 MB to 12 MB--without downloading or saving any new files. Every time I restarted the computer or relaunched the finder, I would lose another 50 or 10 MB. At the very end, I was running on a total of 6 MB as reserve! At first I assumed I had a virus, but Norton Anti-Virus came up with nothing. Then I searched through all my log files and caches and deleted these--with minimal effect. And sure enough, a few minutes later, the 10 or 20 MBs hard fought for, would be lost on account of the crazy hard disk capacity vacuum genie. I knew I had a problem when I ran "WhatSize" (excellent freeware!), which showed that my 5.6 GB hard drive had only 3.3 GB accounted for by files (even though 5.59 GBs were shown as "used"). So where were the missing 2.3 GBs? As it turns out, they were neither in log files, nor caches, or nor images or nor hidden files (I used "Cocktail" to make these visible and run some cleanup scripts). Desperate to be left with a vegetable computer with any further HD shrinkage, I ended up running "TechTool" off the CD (I actually ran the old OS9 version)--and TATA!! discovered that my hard disk had a faulty volume strucure. Tech Tool repaired this without a hitch, replaced the faulty volume--and suddenly I had 2.34 GB freed up--a whopping 40% more hard drive capacity, given my ancient G3!! I wonder how many mac users out there with new computers and huge hard disks might be having the same problem, without acutally being aware of this gradual erosion of their hard disk capacity. I advise everyone out there to run WhatSize (to see if there is a discrepancy between acutally used and allocated disk capacity), and TechTool to fix any problems!