My Hard Drive Crashed :( whats Best HardDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shark718, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Shark718 macrumors newbie

I just had my first Hard Drive crash on me :mad: . When I turn it on it makes a clicking sound for a few and then nothing happens. Its a Western Digital 500gb HD. I was wondering two things. 1) How can I get my stuff off the HD and 2) What's the best HD to get that wont give me any problems. I want to get a 1tb or 2tb HD.

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can try Disk Warrior or Data Rescue 3 or File Salvage

You can also try JFileRecovery or SafeCopy

As far as a HDD that "won't give you any problems", well, they will all fail eventually.
    Brands are pretty much based on personal preferences and real life experiences.

Your mileage will vary.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

is it an external drive that failed or your main drive that you use for your OS and apps?

you will need an external enclosure or interface to connect your HD to another computer in order to recover it if it was your main drive.

as for HD recommendations I have had good experiences with the newer (in the past couple years) western digital drives.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I've been using Western Digital for HDD's. A 1TB Caviar Black can be found for less than 100 USD.

5. mrochester macrumors 65816

If the drive is already clicking, it's usually already too late to get anything off it.

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

I don't see why it's even necessary to remove the faulty drive. All the OP has to do is boot from a different drive in his MP, and he can use the same kinds of recovery methods that he would if he was using another computer.

7. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I've been a long-time supporter of Seagate drives but their latest few batches 7200.10 & 7200.11 have been just utter crap. They also got rid of their 5 year warranty, I believe. Not a lot of comfort left with them.

So for my new DNS-323 NAS and replacement boot drive for Mac Pro, I bought the WD 1TB Caviar Blacks. Here's hoping for good things.

8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

wow...brain fart on my part... totally forgot this thread was in the mac pro section! :eek:

9. kxfrog macrumors regular

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

It happens. Last night someone posted to the 2010 MP thread, saying he was "looking forward to getting this new phone". Evidently he thought he was posting to the Google phone thread :)

11. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i think i know what happened: i was looking at so many threads about this "bad boy pro" trying to find out what it was.

anyways i really like my 500gb WD scorpio black. however the 1TB seems very popular as well.

12. Shark718 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was my 2nd hard drive inside my unit. I had a ton of photos and stuff up there. I took it out the Mac and put it in a inclosed case and tried it that way also. But the light comes on, you can hear the HD spinning and then it stops and then you can hear clicking sounds and then the hard drive does not come up on my screen.

13. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

...annnd queue hindsight on a good backup process.

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

Yep, sounds totally knackered. Time to toss it in the bin!

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

If noise doesn't matter, good choice. :p

16. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Like said before, drive brands are really based on personal preference because they all eventually stop working...

I've always had good luck with Seagate and WD. Hitachi and Maxtor, not so much... But again, it's hard to predict which drive is going to be the most reliable. It seems that every year even the best manufacturer will have a bad batch.

This should be a lesson in having a proper backup strategy. You can't rely on one drive in your computer to keep all your stuff safe.