My hard drive died; could I replace it myself?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by na1577, Jun 19, 2011.

1. na1577 macrumors 6502a

So, last year I lost my PC to a hard drive failure. Since it was out of warranty, I didn't bother trying to have it fixed and I bought a MacBook instead.

Fast forward to now, I've been in need of a second laptop. Rather than buy another computer, I thought about fixing my old one. I looked into replacing the hard drive, and it appears to be relatively inexpensive and straightforward. But I've never really touched computer hardware before, and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it correctly.

My question is, is this generally an easy repair? I know some hard drives aren't meant to be user replaceable, but after reading the manufacturer's guide, it looks very simple. Also, how can I be sure that I am buying a compatible hard drive? Any tips would be appreciated. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. na1577 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh sorry I forgot to mention, it's not a Mac! It's an HP Pavilion dv2500. I'm just looking for some general information, I'm aware not many people will have the exact same computer on MacRumors. ;)

4. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at the HP Pavilion dv2500 and dv2700 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide yet, on page 61 and onwards, there are instructions on how to do it, and it seems fairly simple, if you have the proper tools and are not a klutz.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

To get the computer ready with a new hard drive. You will need to do the following.
    1. Install the new hard drive via the instruction posted above.
    2. Boot off your Windows installation disc (you will likely need to order the from HP for the disc that usually does not come with the computer or purchase the Windows 7 upgrade)
    3. Format the hard drive and begin installation.
    4. Install all drivers (I recommend downloading the latest from HP support)
    5. I would install all updates and optional updates before adding third party software.
    6. Install your other software and transfer data.

Since your computer came with either XP or Vista you are eligible for the Win 7 Upgrade. So if you go that route just do a double install of Win 7 just google "double install method Windows 7". Rather than waiting for HP to send a disc you don't really need since you do meet the requirements for the upgrade. Note with Windows 7 you may have to hunt down a few drivers as HP does not keep an updated list for OSes not available when the computer was sold.

If you don't need a lot of space I would recommend an SSD as it is just much faster. For most people 64GB is far more than enough.

6. na1577 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information! :)

I placed an order for a hard drive, hopefully I picked the right one. The specs seem to line up correctly with the original part.

Yes I read the guide. As I said in my original post, the instructions seem easy... but I've never done anything like this before. We'll see how it turns out.

7. na1577 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I'm double posting, but I have run into an issue.

There are some screws attached to the hard drive bracket that I can't seem to take out. I don't know what type of screwdriver I need to be able to remove it. According to the manual, they are Phillips PM3.0×4.0 screws.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You need precision Philips screwdrivers like for eyeglasses. I would recommend simply getting a full set as they are invaluable to have. As there are many gadgets that use small screws.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-135-0916...f=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1308713110&sr=1-11

If you don't want a full set you can go to your local hardware store and pick up a #0 and a #1 Philips.

9. na1577 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm conflicted. I'm afraid the screws might be stuck. My options:

1) Buy a set of screwdrivers. If they are stuck, it's a waste of money. If they're not, problem solved.
    2) Buy a bracket. HP doesn't sell them individually, so I have to try riskier options like Ebay.

It's frustrating, because after having removed the original hard drive it's clear how simple this process is. I don't want to give up because of four screws. :(

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do you have the small screwdrivers I mentioned. They are likely #0 Philips. So if they are tight, using locktite &c you are not going to get the with a #1. Use the proper fitting screwdriver (it fully seats in the groove tightly not sit on top or loosely slop around), apply a lot of pressure if it is slipping and turn counterclockwise.

Heck those hp drives don't have much flex space. The drive cover will hold it in. If you can't remove the screws just tape the drive in place and screw on the cover.