My hard drive has been acting weird lately...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shadowspirit6, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

Ok, well right when I started my computer when I came home from school, it said that it had 116.28 GB Available. Over time, now that it has been on for a few hours, my Hard drive says NOW states that it has 115.4 GB Availale. I didnt download anything at all. But yet i didnt seem to do anything for it to lose this amount... since i lost almost a Gig's worth (0.88 GB). Has anyone else been experiencing this problem or know what is going on?!?

2. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i don't know what makes it do that either. but it might be normal becuse i experience the same thing. i leave myine on for days at a time and it gets worse if u leave it long enough. its only on my OS HD, not my storage drive. so my GUESS/THEORY is that it has something to do with virtual memory. hopefully someone who actually know what they talkin bout can confirm or deny. i dont remember it always doing that but i was never so low on HD space that i really payed that much attention till now

3. Shadowspirit6 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i was thinking it had to do with memory also

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

my guess would be a log file or cached data. If you reboot does the 'used' space come back?

5. Shadowspirit6 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, for some strange/random reason, it does

6. nb705 macrumors newbie

What you're experiencing is down to the page file and program caches. When you restart the machine, these are wiped.