My Hard Drive no longer shows up in My Computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blacksaibot, Dec 21, 2011.

1. blacksaibot macrumors newbie

I have a Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive (External). I use it 99.9% of the time on my Windows 7 64bit computer to store pictures/videos and backup important files.

It was working fine until I plugged it a MAC to backup files from that computer. It was a simple copy and paste from the MAC to the External HDD.

After copying the files from the MAC, I plugged it back into my PC.

My PC no longer recognizes my external HDD. I unplugged the power, plugged it back in. Same with the USB cable. Rebooted. Then my computer wouldn't reboot and windows did its automatic self repair. Nothing.

I unplugged EVERYTHING and left it that way for about 30 minutes. I plugged EVERYTHING back to my computer and turned it on.

Windows booted up fine. I plugged in the external HDD and windows had that little icon telling me it was installing drivers. I was excited to think that it finally would recognize my external HDD.

Of course, it didn't work.

I took the hard drive out of the casing/box. I know this voids the warranty... but the warranty has already expired on this junk. I plugged it directly to my desktop's eSATA. It shows up in Device Manager fine.

In Computer Management's Disk Management, it tells me I have to initialize the disk before I can access it.

BUT WHY WHEN IT WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE!?!?

if Mac uses different formats, then the Mac shouldn't have been able to see all my files before I did the copying. The Mac was able to write on the disk fine when I created directories. And the Mac successfuly copied the files onto the Hard Drive. I don't see how something that uses different formats can do all that.

My girlfriend (who owns that awesome MAC computer) said she googled my problem and read something that MAC erases ****** when you plug anything into a MAC. I heard of similar problems with mp3 players that have music already on it. What kind of crap is that? Now I would just like to figure out why it became corrupted by a simple copying of files from a ********ing mac. Because if MAC erased my hard drive, why the hell did it even bother letting her copy my files onto it to begin with?

Thank you in advance.

2. wpotere Guest

iPods are formatted according to the OS you are using. THe OS will not auto format your drive unless you tell it to.

Did you properly eject the drive when you took it off the Mac? If you didn't it is possible that you damaged the partition.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you ejected it properly from the MAC? maybe if you just unplugged it, you made it unresponsive, when you plug it back into the MAC does the external work?

4. blacksaibot thread starter macrumors newbie

I was not the one to unplug it. So I would have to assume it was just unplugged.

When I plugged it BACK into the MAC, the MAC did not recognize it either.

5. eternalife macrumors regular

While I can't help with your answer I can say that I think it is a Western Digital thing, not a mac thing. I have a Seagate and I hop between Mac and Windows all the time. I also have two Western Digital external hard drives and they are the pits. They stay on Windows and constantly disconnect from the computer. I try to use them as backup drives but half the time they won't stay connected.

6. wpotere Guest

It could be a drive failure.

HD drive vendors seem to rotate as to who is the best. I remember when Seagate was crap and WD was a lot better. It is just who is on top at that time. I have a WD hard drive that is about 7 years old and still running great.

7. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yes, the western digital drives are dirt. I have had so many break, I think I'm up to 3 now. I hate those

8. eternalife macrumors regular

Than I guess they are both failing at the same time (out of the box).