My HD is gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sicarius, May 17, 2007.

1. Sicarius macrumors member

I just restarted my Macbook, only to find that I can't click anything to do with the Finder, and my HD isn't on the desktop! What the Hell is happening? I can use any application in the Dock, as long as I don't have to use the Finder.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Finder -> Preferences

Make sure Hard Disks are checked to show on the Desktop.

3. Sicarius thread starter macrumors member

Can't do ANYTHING with the Finder. It's all frozen, even after restarts.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Eep. Mate, give us a bit more information about what you were doing with the machine before this happened. What's plugged in right now? Also, can you boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT at startup?

5. Sicarius thread starter macrumors member

Nothing's plugged in except for power. I was just using it. I had finished a session, so I shutdown. Upon restarting, it did this. And I haven't tried Safe Mode, mostly because I have no clue what it does, lol.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, what were you using it for? Safe Mode is explained by Apple here. It basically cuts out some of the crap a computer does at startup. If the machine isn't freezing when booting into Safe Mode, then we'll have a list of possible suspects we can line up, pin down, beat with a hammer and possibly eventually overcome your problem. Come to think of it, don't use a hammer on your computer. :)