my HD is very, very loud...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edwardz, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

Hello

I have a 2.4 GHZ 2 g Ram, 5400 RPM HD Macbook Pro. The last couple of days my HD has been very, very loud constantly. Anyone know why or have some advice? Thanks!

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Back it up now.!

Your best bet is to image the dirve to an external now. Then worry about a solution. Drives are cheap. Loss of data is not.

Neil.

3. Edwardz thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean "image?" Do you mean take everything off my main HD on my pro to an external? If that is what you mean, I already tried that. All I have on my HD is my applications; everything else is on my external (songs, files, documents, etc.). Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

What he means is to "clone" your hdd to an external drive. In other words, make an exact image copy. That way, 1) you have a backup and 2) you can copy that image back to a new replacement drive. You can use a free program like "Super Duper". Some portable externals like the WD Passport have a compatible hdd inside that you could actually swap out with the MBP. You may be looking for different advice but first things first, right?

5. Edwardz thread starter macrumors regular

So are you telling me that I need to buy a brand new HD for my MBP if it's making this noise? That cannot be. There has to be some logical explanation for why...

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you don't have to buy anything; just make sure your important data is backed up.

Now what does ths sound sound like exactly?

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Usually, an abnormal mechanical sound from the hard drive indicates an imminent malfunction. Hence, just to be on the safe side, you should back up your data.

Is your computer still under warranty?