My HDD died: Can I move media from iPhone to Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jdaniel, Nov 7, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

My HDD died for the moment there is nothing I can do with it.

My iPhone has all my synced photos and synced music, if I sync it now to my mac which is on a new hd what is gonna happen is my photos n music gonna magically appear on my mac? No right?

What convoluted process do I have to go thru to get all the synced photos and music off my phone?

I need some 3rd party software?

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

3. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

You should be able to download your photos with Image Capture, which should be on your mac as it is installed with the OS. But be careful if you have iTunes set to automatically sync when the phone is connected (bad idea I think) as it may wipe your music.

Music I think will have to be with a third party app like Senuti. Do not sync with iTunes on your replacement HDD. iTunes will only sync music one way, so it would wipe the music off the iPhone.

Purchased Music should be redownloadable.

Recommend having a back up then you could just put your iTunes library onto your new drive.

4. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

i dont wanna sound mean but if the hard drive is dead where am I gonna find said backup? you have no idea what you are talking about...anyways.. moving data FROM iphone TO a mac is not about backups...and it is not really about the iphone... its is the itunes library on the mac and pictures folder or iphotos data depending on how the data was synced.....an iphone backup does not contain the actual data for the photos and music.. only app data and settings and etc...photos and music has to be resynced.. if you ever reset your iphone you would know....if you restore from backup the photos and music has to be resynced.

Anyways after scouring the net, there is basically no way to restore SYNCED photos and music from an iphone directly to a new computer or hard drive whichever the case may be without 3rd party software.

So i selected iexplorer the full version works like a charm. It moves all your music at one go into itunes directly and same goes with photos to folder of your choice...

----------

yeah image capture and iphoto only sees photos in camera roll.

i went with iexplorer... fixed the problem was hoping to find something i was missing.. but there was nothing. so i needed 3rd party software

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

He meant the same as me...that if you had a back up of your internal hard drive (on a portable external) recovery would have been much more straightforward.

If your internal HDD failed and you didn't have a backup presumably you lost other data.

Carbon Copy Cloner and Superduper! or Time Machine are very easy to use.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Well of coz I didn't have a back up if not I wouldn't be posting this haha

I need those programs in a bit coz my WD vibrates too much one I get this seagate one that failed replaced i would need to clone the drive n reswap it back in thanks I will look into them