My HDD memory space is getting eatened away...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by advengerpem9693, Apr 3, 2011.

1. advengerpem9693 macrumors newbie

So I noticed something weird that happened yesterday, when I checked my computer I had 75 gb left on my hard drive, so I started deleting 20gb of videos I had, but it still said 75gb left. Today my memory space started decreasing, it was 72gb 5 hours ago, 3 hours later it said 71.68gb, 10 min ago it said 66.6gb, and now it says 66.46gb. WHATS WRONG?! :(

I kept deleting stuff but it makes it decrease even more!!! D;
    please help me

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

When you delete files, Mac OS X moves the files to trash. You have to empty the trash to recover the disk space. Right ( Control) click the trash icon (looks like a paper waste bin) in the dock and choose Empty trash.

4. advengerpem9693, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

advengerpem9693 thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work. =/
    It says that PowerPC's aren't supported... even though I just got my Macbook Pro 2 months ago?

Yeah I know that, hahaha.

[edit] ...now its 66.44gb... :(

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I like DaisyDisk http://www.daisydiskapp.com/ much better than Disk Inventory X, but it's $20. Available from their website or the Mac App Store.

6. advengerpem9693 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you I started deleting some caches that took up 33gb, it's still deleting though but now my memory space decreased even more! it went from 66gb to 59.16gb! :(

What the heck is wrong?! D;

7. advengerpem9693 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the DaisyDisk app and it said that the folder /.mobilebackup is taking up 78.5gb... but I can't open the folder because it said I don't have the permission? :(

Is my disk corrupted or something?

8. msevild macrumors regular

Well I am unsure what that folder is in the root directory of your hard drive. Not a normal folder judging by my experience in tech support. I would suggest going to the computer's console application in utilities and seeing if it is logging anything there maybe to hint at what application or process is causing that issue. Next I would suggest going to activity monitor and maybe posting screen shots of everything running(both user and system...you will probably need to tell it to view all processes). Are you familiar with any backup software you are using...other than time machine? If you can post your screen shots and we'll see if we can help.

9. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I've only got 3 years experience with OS X, but I do like to poke around and I've never heard of a ".mobilebackup" in the root directory.

However, I googled and found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1104749.html
    In it, a someone lists the major problems they've had with Lion, and one of the problems is missing disk space:
    Then user metrica says:

I haven't read the whole thread thoroughly, but I didn't see anything else to note except that it also sounds like the (or some) problems were related to VMWare Fusion. Do you use that product?

Regards,
    Brian33