My headphones becamee defective after plugging them into my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seb12992, Jan 15, 2011.

1. seb12992 macrumors newbie

I'm not saying that the fact that I plugged my headphones into my Macbook is the reason that my headphones became defective, but I had previously used them with my iPad right before plugging them into my Macbook and they worked just find. I plug them into my Macbook, and suddenly I'm only getting sound out of one side. It also only plays out of one side now when I use the headphones with my iPad. Is it possible that plugging my headphones into my Macbook somehow caused them to become defective?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I suppose something inside the MacBook's headphone jack might've damaged your headphones' plug.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Possible but very unlikely. Almost certainly a coincidence. Or it could have been you, if you pulled them out by the cord instead of by the plug itself.

Look at the tip (the one that goes in the computer). Is there any apparent damage? If not, then the only way the MacBook could have damaged your headphones would be to have sent too much power to the side that doesn't work. But you would have heard that since it would have made a very loud popping sound.

4. seb12992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers. Based on what you guys said, I'm just going to assume that it was just as coincidence that the headphones stopped working right before I used them on my Macbook. I always pull my headphones out by the plug and not the cord, so that couldn't of been it.

Thanks again. Guess I'll have to buy some less cheap headphones.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If the headphones that are broken are expensive then you should probably get them repaired, but only if it's worth it.