My Headset Conundrum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sledgehammah, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Sledgehammah macrumors newbie

This is having me rip my hair out.

Starting with basics:
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    13" Macbook Pro bought in april 2010

My headset had been fine. It has two audio jacks, one for input the other for output, so I got the imic to work with it and it's been flawless. Until now.

Experiences problem in Skype, mumble, checked problem in vocaroo and garageband.
    Here's what it sounds like.

This amount of static is bearable, but in Skype conversations, people tell me it becomes ear-splitting about 10 minutes into the call.

So I thought, oh, I broke my mic.

But then I test my headset+imic on dad's desktop: no problem. Wait, what?

And for good measure, checked with new imic my sister bought --> STILL problem --> not the imic

Repaired disk [holding c on restart and choosing disk utility and then repair disk] --> STILL problem

I have run the built-in hardware test [holding t at restart] both the short one and long one, and NO PROBLEMS DETECTED.

Problem exists on both my Mac side and PC[XP] side [i have bootcamp installed].

ABOUT the internal mic:
    I unchecked the 'Use ambient noise reduction'
    This time I checked it [Chris Matthews in the background…]

So I go to tekserve @ NYC, works fine there. DERP. They tell me it's my internet connection at home /I'm picking up feedback.

So I try...
    plugged ethernet cable into computer --> STILL problem --> not slow internet [My ethernet is 2mb/sec]

checked headset+my-imic with dad's desktop and sister's laptop from same spot --> WORKS FINE --> not feedback

tried my computer and my headset+imic from multiple spots around house; different rooms, even in the floor below. --> STILL PROBLEM --> really not feedback

This has got me good. I'm at a real loss here. I'm thinking about making another account on my computer and trying it there?

SOMETHING I NOTICED: Everytime i plug in the mic it starts it at 0% input volume. Sign of a corrupted sound preference?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The audio chipset on the computer is most likely picking up static interference from your power source. This really isn't something that can fixed.

I have the same issue and I purchased an USB sound card and that fixes the issue.

3. Sledgehammah thread starter macrumors newbie

But then why would this problem only arise in the last few days, when I've changed nothing? Also, isn't imic a USB sound card?