My 'home' situation > What to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cupcake1986, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Cupcake1986 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

First let me explai what I mean. I have got 3 cats. Maine coons, which can get pretty bit. And my olderst is a 12 kg/26 lbs cat. And I have got an open space so nog seperate room where my cats cant come exect the bedroom but there I have got no room for a desk. So that means if to want to sniff on the white macbook (2.1 core2duo/4 GB) they can do so.

Now I want to upgrade because.

A. Aperture is becoming slow. Well it has been since i bought a DLSR with 21 MP resolution some 2 years ago)
    B. Battery is becoming quite bad and i am getting the warning to replace it soon
    C. The HD is becoming quite full.

Yeah I know I can replace C and maybe still B(?) .

But i would like to know what the best option is for me now. I have got 5 options. Budget is max €1800/€1800. Not interested in retina

I use it for: Internet, watching tv series online and Aperture 2

A. Stay in the laptop devision and buy the latest MBP 13" option. I always will upgrade to 8 GB RAM. But can someone tell me if the I7 2.9 cpu is worth the premium over the I5 2.5 cpu. I know another difference is a bigger HD but I dont care for that as the 128 GB served me fine over 4 years and have got a 500 GB external

B. Stay in laptop devision and go with a latest MBA. 256GB SDD/ 8GB RAM. And here is the question go with the 1.8 CPU or spend some more and get the 2.0 CPU

C. Stay in the laptop devision and go with a 15" MPB and change nothing. So that means only 4 GB ram but a quadcore prosessor and a dedicated GPU

D. Now the tricky option, Why? Well remeber the open space? I am afraid they bump it over. I am very sure Apple isnt going to say. Ow an accident, we will refund for you. Well that is what I read most of the time And I dont know if it is a good idea to move it to the bedroom when I am not at home. So that will be on a daily base. All the components are in there. I am talking about the Imac.

In that case I will be going for the cheapest 27" model and leave it like that or go for the 21" 2.9I5. But I am wondering what to upgrade then. Should I upgrade to 16 GB RAM OR add the fusion drive?

E.Is if I want a bigger monitor maybe the 'safest' option

Apple TBD + Mac mini as the mini i can store in my drawer and the screen is just the screen what can stand in my bedroom without all the vital components in there

But then I am wondering if I should go for the 2.5 dual core and add the 8 GB ram or should I go for the base quad core model but I only got 4 Gb ram then.

2. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

You list your options as staying with the notebooks, but your dollar will go further in an iMac; since you didn't specify you absolutely need a portable; get the new entry-level iMac w/upgrade to 16gb RAM and Fusion Drive upgrade (from Apple online) which comes to £1459 (~€1761).

3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Yeah, if you do not need to travel go for a speced up iMac 21"...unless you like 27" then the base model is plenty strong too.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go this route. Do you have an Apple store near? I'd say go take a look at the 27" iMac and see if it feels unstable to you. I know the older models were pretty beefy, I don't think they'd be tipping over unless one of your cats were to throw another cat at it.