My Homemade iPhone 4 Dock =D

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mastamuffin, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Mastamuffin macrumors member

Well, im new here but have been lurking since i got my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago.

I decided to make my own dock after seeing other homemade ones. The trouble with my room is that i only have 2 outlets, and the cable for the IP4 seems to be quite short. Solution? Make my own dock at hooks onto my bed headboard.

I originally wanted to make it out of wood, which i still might do, but i couldnt find the right tools to make it happen. So i went to a craft store and got a styrafoam block.

The start:
    [​IMG]

This slot is what will fit onto my headboard:
    [​IMG]

Now to cut the slot for the phone!
    [​IMG]

Now i totally forgot, but i had to find a way to route the cable! Solution? Make a channel that will "lock" the cable so that it doesnt slide out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The way i did it is i made the hole large enough to fit the USB side of the cable snugly, that way the larger part that the IP4 plugs into will not slide down the channel:
    [​IMG]

On the headboard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a little loose, so i added these adhesive foam sticky things i cut out:
    [​IMG]

Well thats where it stands as of right now. I eventually want to make one out of wood as a more permanent solution. For right now this one will do, i just have to be careful with it.

Let me know what you guys think!

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I love mods mac related and this is one of them. Looks awesome, nice job :)

3. reliantj macrumors 6502

should be more minimalistic. i like the idea, but it's just too big. maybe half the size made with some wood. painted and varnished to match your bed.

or better yet, cut a hole into your headrest and put a dock adapter there =)

4. CrizzoDesigns macrumors newbie

CrizzoDesigns

5. Mastamuffin thread starter macrumors member

Haha, i might actually make a dock that just attaches to the wall so that i can move it anywhere.

But yea this was the first attempt so its huge. I was afraid to make the material too thin as it is quite weak.