Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Ok. So I just upgraded the firmware and was not expecting much difference in the reception issue when holding the phone and touching the antenna. I have to say, at least what the bars are doing, it is different.

Before the update:

I usually always had 5 bars when at my house. I thought this was always strange because I'm outside the city and didn't think I was really getting 5 bars. Anyway, when I would hold the phone by the "Death Grip", I would slowly drop down bars until I was at a single bar and sometimes I would get a "No signal" or "Searching for Signal" message (I forget the actual verbage).

After the update:

I noticed the tiny difference in the graphic of the bars. I think it's really annoying how people are complaining about how ugly they are. I mean really, who gives a ****! Anyway, my phone now has 3 bars instead of the 5. That seems more realistic to me being the area I am in. Now, when I use the "Death Grip" my bars slowly drop to one bar, BUT it then fluctuates going back up to two bars, then one, then two, then one, and so on.

I'm not saying that they "fixed" anything with this update, but the reception bars definitely behave differently and I do get some positive gains in the signal, not just a dying signal until one bar or losing service all together.

I can also say, I never really hold my phone using the "Death Grip" so I haven't lost any (maybe one) calls before the update. I think I'm going to intentionally hold the phone in the "Death Grip" for a while and see if I actually lose a call. If the signal is accurate, I would guess there would be no lost calls because my signal is sitting somewhere in between one and two bars while I'm at home. I would think that should be enough to keep a phone call going without dropping it.

To reiterate, before the whiners and bashers jump in, I'm not saying this update fixed anything. I'm not saying there isn't a hardware flaw. I'm not saying anything other than what I have experienced with my iPhone after the update. This posting is only for people that may be interested in how this update is working for someone other than themselves.

Oh. There is "One last thing". Before you start trashing what I've said or start whining about your own experiences, just go away. Let the grown-ups have this thread for discussion please.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
From what I've read, Apple has lowered the acceptable signal level to have one bar, and in turn, that may allow the iPhone to keep the signal before searching for service.

Basically, it's still sinking down to the same dB that made it drop before, but they have adjusted it to keep that signal if nothing else is around.

The Speedtest app kind of confirms this for me. I still have 1 bar, but I have no available bandwidth.

That's my theory at least.

Chimpware

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
and what exactly are you starting a discussion on, how the bars look?

Did you test the data speed while you were holding it?

Well I did and 4.01 = no change. Holding phone in left hand still results in complete loss of data access.

Who cares how many bars are shown on the display, that is meaningless, why not at least post something meaningful before you climb on your "adult" horse and tell people that you are not interested in their experiences on a public forum.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
and what exactly are you starting a discussion on, how the bars look?

Did you test the data speed while you were holding it?

Well I did and 4.01 = no change. Holding phone in left hand still results in complete loss of data access.

Who cares how many bars are shown on the display, that is meaningless, why not at least post something meaningful before you climb on your "adult" horse and tell people that you are not interested in their experiences on a public forum.

I knew at least one of you would show up. Is it really that hard to just shut up and move on without running your mouth? "I'm right! I'm right! You're wrong! You're wrong! Bahhhhhhhhh!" Go find your binky and go to sleep.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
From what I've read, Apple has lowered the acceptable signal level to have one bar, and in turn, that may allow the iPhone to keep the signal before searching for service.

Basically, it's still sinking down to the same dB that made it drop before, but they have adjusted it to keep that signal if nothing else is around.

The Speedtest app kind of confirms this for me. I still have 1 bar, but I have no available bandwidth.

That's my theory at least.

I had the same experience with the data getting killed when holding it and touching the antenna. I think your hunch on what they did with the dB level in conjunction with the bar is spot on. Different behavior, same outcome. I wonder how they're going to handle this tomorrow.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Dropped two bars, from 4 two 2, but that looks more like what I'm used to seeing on my 3G. Worrisome thing is that when I give it the Monkey Grip O' Death, it drops the signal as expected, but now takes a LOOOOOOONGGGG time to regain the signal where before it would immediately pick it back up. It was several MINUTES from when it hit "No Signal" to when it started building the signal bars again. Very, very worrisome. That said, I couldn't replicate it again, and I hope that remains the case. It dropped to 1 bar and stayed there all the other times I tried it, on both my Iphone 4 and my wife's Iphone 4.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Dropped two bars, from 4 two 2, but that looks more like what I'm used to seeing on my 3G. Worrisome thing is that when I give it the Monkey Grip O' Death, it drops the signal as expected, but now takes a LOOOOOOONGGGG time to regain the signal where before it would immediately pick it back up. It was several MINUTES from when it hit "No Signal" to when it started building the signal bars again. Very, very worrisome. That said, I couldn't replicate it again, and I hope that remains the case. It dropped to 1 bar and stayed there all the other times I tried it, on both my Iphone 4 and my wife's Iphone 4.

The signal bars are slow to react. You wouldn't like it going from 1 to 5 and everywhere in between all the time, now would you? There is a delay added so it doesn't jump around a lot.

Want to prove it? Get the Speedtest app I mentioned above, then during the latency test, touch the gap... the latency test will pause. Immediately let go, and the test continues. At least that's what happens with me. If you're in a good service area, the death grip will likely work.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Three iPhone 4's in my house. No problems before 4.01, no problems after. More often than not when I hold my iPhone the way people are complaining about the signal bar goes up, not down.

I concluded early on that unless I experienced dropped calls or slow data I wasn't going to worry about the bars, or how I hold the iPhone. Since the day befit launch when I received my iPhone I haven't had a single issue.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Three iPhone 4's in my house. No problems before 4.01, no problems after. More often than not when I hold my iPhone the way people are complaining about the signal bar goes up, not down.

I concluded early on that unless I experienced dropped calls or slow data I wasn't going to worry about the bars, or how I hold the iPhone. Since the day befit launch when I received my iPhone I haven't had a single issue.

I'm not saying that I don't like the signal bars. I'm happy that it's accurate now, but now I can't show off how my phone has 5 bars while other phones have 3... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the signal hasn't improved at all, and it won't without a physical fix. The iPhone, however, does hold on to poorer signals now, so it will be harder to make the phone go to "No Service."

I'll use a 12V car battery example.

>13.5V is 5 bars
12.5-13.5V is 4 bars
11.5-12.5V is 3 bars
10.5-11.5V is 2 bars
And the kicker
8.5-10.5V is 1 bar

Your car may roll over at at 10V, but it will be struggling. Good luck getting it to roll over at 9V.

Basically, they extended the acceptable 1 bar range to include really bad signal levels. Phone calls will be tough to make. Text messages may be fine though.

Oh, I should mention how 4.0.0 was like.

>11.5V is 5 bars
11-11.5V is 4 bars
10.5-11V is 3 bars
10-10.5V is 2 bars
9.5-10V is 1 bar

Yea, I'm in Electrical Engineering, and yes, I know voltage is not a good indicator of battery capacity. However, most cars with a "battery gauge" use voltage as an indication.

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
I just upgraded, I didn't expect much so I wasn't disappointed (I knew it wouldn't fix my problems).

Before:
Sitting in front of the computer. The phone sitting on the desk, not touching it had 5 bars. If I layed it in my hand it would drop to 3. If I gripped it around the antenna it would drop to 1.
Speed tests showed (average) 1500/95 sitting on the desk. When I gripped it speedtests show 0/0

After:
Same place, in front of the computer. The phone on the desk, not touching it has 4/5 (fluctuates). Lay it in my hand it goes to 3. Grip it and it goes to 1.
Speed tests is about 1/2 the speed (700/60), sitting on the desk without touching it. Laying it in my hand loosely, no data.

So, thanks apple. You took a small problem and made it worse. I could have lived with it before. You still haven't fixed the BIG issue, the proximity sensor, I will not live with this problem. I'll be on the phone tomorrow getting my phone returned unless something "big" happens in the conference. :mad:

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Every time some one types "Death Grip" like it has meaning, I think of what countless mothers have said " Stop doing that you will go blind":cool:

Chimpware

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I knew at least one of you would show up. Is it really that hard to just shut up and move on without running your mouth? "I'm right! I'm right! You're wrong! You're wrong! Bahhhhhhhhh!" Go find your binky and go to sleep.

Hey sorry to introduce facts into your excellent discussion about what the bars look like. Keep looking at the meaningless graphics on your phone as if they have some magical meaning and don't actually test anything. I am not saying I am right, but I am saying Apple has basically said the bars are meaningless, but you keep up the excellent meaningless reporting moron.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Hey sorry to introduce facts into your excellent discussion about what the bars look like. Keep looking at the meaningless graphics on your phone as if they have some magical meaning and don't actually test anything. I am not saying I am right, but I am saying Apple has basically said the bars are meaningless, but you keep up the excellent meaningless reporting moron.

Not paying attention to you anymore. Go to sleep.

Two more hours to find out what Apple is going to do about this issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.