My horrible/annoying experience with my first Apple computer purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacbookPr015R, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MacbookPr015R macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience the past 3 weeks after purchasing my very first Macbook Pro. I bought a late 2013 rMBP 15' 2.3GHZ for school, because I was tired of the software issues and construction of my HP. I wanted something premium, something that I knew would last me my 6 years of college.

Anyway, when the new model Macbook Pro came out, I bought it in store at my local Apple location. For the first few days, everything was perfect, then I noticed that every time I would rest my hands or move the Macbook, the computer would creak and tick. I brought it into the Apple Genius bar, then tightened the screws, and voila the noise was gone.

One week later, the noise came back, and to my surprise, instead of attempting to fix it, they just gave me a whole new Macbook. I bring home the Macbook, then I notice that out of the box, that the Macbook was chipped on the side. The damage was not caused by me, as I haven't even touched the computer yet besides me putting it in the car.

I went back to Apple and told them that the replacement they gave me had a chip in it out of the box, and after some trouble and questioning, they decided to give me another replacement. They warned me though that because this is the second replacement, they would not give me another one in the event that I found trouble with this third Macbook; I was fine with that, hoping that the third would be the charm and apple's reputation of having top notch devices wouldn't let me down.

I bring home my THIRD replacement rMBP home, sit it at my desk, and to my dismay, the laptop did not sit flush and flat with the table. I could not fricken believe it. I then tested it on several flat surfaces, and indeed this replacement Macbook does not sit level with a flat surface. The bottom hand left corner near the track pad sits higher, so when I rest my hand on it you can hear it banging into the table. The track pad on this computer also makes a buzzing type sound when I click down onto the track pad.

So basically, I'm sitting here with my third replacement Macbook that I invested half my part time salary with (I spent $2,500 on this computer), and its still having some problems. Apple will refuse to replace this one because its already my second replacement, so I'm pretty much screwed. I have no words for this, and the luck I got with the three computers I received.

Thanks for listening...

2. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

This is a super-ultra-common issue. I had it with my Unibody 2010 17" as well.

Want to know how to fix it?

Get your machine nice and warm--play a game or something. With the lid open (so as to not put stress on the display), centre the MBP over your knee, and VERY GENTLY press down on two diagonal corners. This will very slightly flex the bottom chassis back into shape.

Obviously, you want to err on the side of caution--try just a tiny bit of pressure at first. But it was an easy 2-second fix for my MBP and the unevenness was gone forever.

These ultra-thin chassis designs have quite a bit of flex in them by nature, so it's not surprising that many don't lie perfectly flat out of the box. Just remember to BE GENTLE.

And suffice to say, this is strictly an "at your own risk" manoeuvre.

Edit: don't know about the buzzing sound on the trackpad, but that's something Apple will cover under warranty if it's a deal-breaker. I'm a huge fan of the "tap-to-click" multi-touch ethos myself--I find myself almost never actually clicking my trackpad at all.

3. DaRealElvis macrumors member

why didn´t you open the box in the store? The first time ok, but the second time?

4. coys67 macrumors newbie

Dont mess about,take it back if they argue ask to speak to the manager and if you get no joy ask to speak to the regional manager and explain your case,you dont have to put up with shoddy goods whatever they might tell you,you have consumer rights and you should exercise them.

5. LaravelNick macrumors member

Don't take any notice of this, you have consumer rights and if they are unable to supply a product that is free of defects, then take it back again.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If the store gives you trouble, call customer support. I've heard that they're much more willing to work with customers until you're satisfied.

And if it comes down to it, return the computer and request a refund.

If you're set on an Apple, the new 13" models are much more solid. No reports of creaking. Mine was pristine out of the box and has worked perfectly aside from trackpad gate (hopefully that's corrected with the new firmware update; I haven't really tested it yet).

I get annoyed with the people who keep complaining about display issues, but clearly there is something wrong with the chassis of the 15".

7. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

Yes, you have rights. Take the computer back. If they still refuse, call Apple directly and complain. You'll get a replacement.

8. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i feel for you man.. with my recent purchase.. i had to go through 5 exchanges. i've owned macbooks since 2005.. this was the first time i've found their quality control to be subpar. such a shame when you're spending quite a bit of money on a supposedly "premium" product.

you should not have to deal with that if you're still within the 14 day window. get it exchanged. like others have said - if they don't let you, talk to the manager or call apple customer service. they will take care of you. most apple stores are pretty good about it if the issue is obvious. all you need to do in your case, is to show them that it's uneven.. i doubt they will deny you of a replacement. goodluck

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Was my suggestion really that stupid?

A bowed chassis is easy to fix--no joke!

10. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Call apple support and explain your situation, Apple telling you that they will not exchange this one if something is wrong because it's your third replacement is utter crap, you paid top dollar for this machine why should you suffer for something that apple screwed up, I've had to take mine back 5 times due to issues I paid top dollar and therefore I expect nothing less then perfect. Call apple support and tell them your frustration and bitch at them if you have to, tell them what they told you at the apple store, they will record everything down that you tell them, they will more then likely tell you to go into the store to get a replacement they will also put that in the notes and they may give you a case number, then when you go back to that same store they will see in their computer all the notes that apple support inputed and they will see that apple support has requested you get a replacement, once they see that they have no choice but it give you a new one, just think of apple support as a head office, I've had problems in the past with some of these apple geniuses who refuse to help me and all I do is call apple support and they handle it.

----------

I totally agree with this.

11. superego macrumors member

It's absurd that they refuse to replace your laptop just because you've exchanged it two times. If their product was flawless there would be no need to replace it! Your complaints about the poor quality are legitimate.

Apple's quality control has become notorious, as they seem to manufacture the maximum amount of devices instead of aiming for consistent high quality. As sad as it is, the defects you've had are rather typical and commonly found in Apple devices.

12. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Sorry but as somebody already pointed out, this makes no sense whatsoever. If you have concrete issues, Apple will replace it as many times as you want until you are satisfied with it.

13. sabbyp macrumors regular

if this is true, whoever told you that at the store was in the wrong. If I were you i'd go into the store, demand to speak to a manager and mention what you were told previously.

However, I fail to believe that the second macbook was chipped out of the box. I've owned many, many apple products and each one has been cosmetically perfect (if not perfect in other aspects) directly out of the box.

Instead of fuming on a forum about your bad luck, understand you have consumer rights and sort out the problems you say you're having.

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

If you want it to last 6 years, I hope you got more than 8gigs of ram and 256gigs SSD.

15. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Yea, I would take it back or call Apple Care. I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4s, I went through 3 replacements and all had issues with calling, cameras, screens and home buttons. The manager refused to replace it after the 3rd time and I called AppleCare, told them about my situation and they sent me my money back and took back the iPhone. The manager who was dealing with my situation no longer works there and I'm glad. People like that don't belong in stores that sell high-end products if they won't accept the fact that products have issues.

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well I wouldn't say this advice applies to everyone. I'm confident my rMBP will be fine in 6 years--just as my 6 year old iMac is now happily running Mavericks with 2GB of RAM. ;)

17. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Don't you just hate those sales people who act as though doing their job is doing you a favor?
    Take it back to the store as many times as needed. If they sell you something faulty 100 times, they should expect to receive it 100 times.

18. Cibike, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

not true, me personally: MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13" - 1st piece has upper lid moved to right side by 3mm, so that means that when I close upper lid it missing 3mm on the left and stand out 3mm on the right side, it look like total crap (all shitbrands like asus, hp etc. have better products out of the box)
    2nd piece - the piece that they exchange me for 1st one has lid moved 1mm to the back, so when I close upper lid, in front missing 1mm and stand out in the back
    3rd piece was good

MacBook Air Mid 2013 13" - 1st piece has somehow LCD panel moved to the upper left corner, means that screen has thinner rim around display on the top and left, and thicker in bottom and right side
    2nd piece - the piece that they exchange me for 1st one has loose trackpad means when you tap (not click) on the trackpad it makes weird sound, it has faulty backlight on few keys (esc, F6 etc.) and small scratch on the upper side behind keyboard when fans blowing out
    3rd piece - has problem with display connection to the motherboard, so sometimes not wake up from sleep and when you moved upper lid when was open, sometimes you just lost connection and has small scratch on the side (but since side of the Air is relatively thin, I do not care to much about that, but that does not mean, that I was ok with that anyway, but I was not going to exchange for another piece because of that)
    4rd piece was good

I bought every piece in same APR and manager was out of words when I came back 3rd time in few days..

so thats my story, I am not telling that apple has bad products (I absolutely love that brand) bud as I figure out, somehow blind control in assembly plant somewhere in china just not doing there job as they supposed to do and there is big chance that Macs from one group will have some kind of defects

now I have MBPr and it is perfect without any kind of defects for the 1st time, and when I was buying that thing, I was super careful for every detail because of my previous experience

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It all depends on what you plan on running on it. Any VMs with 8 gigs will most likely not be enough. Text edit, and simple browsing, and you are fine. Being forced to take a brick of an external drive everywhere with you go with your ULTRA thin rMBP, is a a bad design forced on us by apple.

20. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

when the 1st unibody macbook pro came out, i ended up with a brand new one with a chip on the lid right out of the box.

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Eight gigs is more than I have, and I can do far more than text editing and simple browsing. More storage space would be nice, but I hear that can be swapped on the rMBPs.

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Were talking 6 years from now, not just now. The 2012 and early 2013 rMBPs can have their SSDs replaced. But I don't think the news ones can, as of yet.

23. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Because that makes you look like a jerk?

Apple should've replaced or fixed the 3rd laptop, don't put this on him. If Apple makes a faulty product and gives you a warranty, they should honor that agreement, otherwise that's fraud (not criminal fraud, just by the dictionary definition).

Regardless, I just bought one of these (comes in 2 days!) if I have to replace it, I'm opening the box in the store. :)

24. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Dude, I kind of feel sorry for you, but for all the wrong reasons. You spent too ****** much on that computer. If you like latest and greatest, you'll probably be salivating over a new one in 3 years at the latest. It might last you 6 years anyway, but that's not a reason to stretch yourself financially if you only work part time. An older - cheaper - MBP would last you just as long, assuming you don't spill beer/coffee/etc over it.

If you go to the Apple store and raise a stink, they'll probably replace it for you, regardless of what was said before.

25. red321red321 macrumors regular

THis happened to me as well and i am on my third MBP Retina. First two had problems and I got them replaced.