My horrible experience with Macbook pro Retina.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedrofan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I bought it in january in an authorized distributor.

A week later I had to change it because the left USB started to disconnect randomly so it had a bad logicboard (this means to migrate, and install EVERYTHING, again from zero in the new laptop). They tryed not to change it because they told me it was normal because the apple testing system didn't warned about any problem. But in front of him I took a cable that they had in their computer and connected my iphone, my girlfriend's iphone, I change the cable with mine AND NONE WORKED. So they told me.. Okay.. We wil change it.. :mad:

Some weeks later new model is released with 16gb of ram and a more powerful processor for the same price so I was so happy :mad:

One month later I was using Safari and I went to have dinner. When I returned I opened photoshop and I could clearly see Safair's web page burned in photoshop's grey background.:mad:

Two days later I sent it to the authorized technical service and they told me that the screen will last ten days to be repaired because it had Image Persistence problem, because I had an LG Display :mad:. But they can't garantee that I'm going to get another LG display, and even that apple will fix it because it is supposed to be normal.:mad:

So I'm here writing you from my 2004 fujitsu laptop that sounds like a helicopter in wich I will have to work without any of my pictures (because they are hijacked in my iPhoto's library that can't be accesed from my windows laptop) for ten days. Praying for not to have another LG display that will make me wait another 10 days to work with my files and programs.:mad:

So i can really say that macbook pro retina has ruined my work, nerves and life since I bought it, at such point that I don't know if it is better that they don't return it to me.:mad:

My advise is "DON'T THE BUY FIRST GENERATION OF MACBOOK PRO RETINA".

I made the error of buying it and the hell continues. :mad:

2. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

That sucks, but what if the 2nd Gen also gets LG display?

3. leman macrumors 604

Weird, I have the first generation rMBP and it seems to be still working :p

4. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

I bought mine in July, No problems whatsoever. Baseline model. Samsung screen though.

5. cramazing macrumors 6502

cheer up big guy, thats a lot of sad faces in 1 post.

think about the good things in life, be happy about where you are.

as far of the mbp goes, if you need one, why not just go buy another mbp from Apple and use it for 10 days and then return it

6. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

7. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Your first problem isn't common at all, you were simply unlucky to get a defective logic board.

The second is more common, and I agree LG rMBP displays are really problematic, but the fact that it takes so long to get it replaced is the reseller's problem. It shouldn't take 10 days to replace the top lid.

I personally got my screen replaced from the Apple Store and it took less than 24h. Dropped my rMBP at 6PM, got it at 11AM the next day.

Why did you get the reseller to replace the screen? Is there no Apple Store in your area?

8. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously not. I have to take a plane to visit a Genius bar.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

As soon as you get it back, sell it. Hopefully the next generation will be better.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Equally many Retina owners have had no issue at all including my own Retina MBP, and i rather believe this applies to the majority of owners. Unfortunately you have had problem, however this does not apply to every Retina MBP released.

One the things with forums in general is people mostly come to solve issue, in some case complain, and a minority just to whine about hardware they have little or no experience with, barring ten minutes hands on at "BestBuy" which is clearly the case with some posts. This is the very nature of forums, on the polls here 80% - 90% are satisfied with Retina MBP, it`s the same every time Apple release a major revision; You can perform the same Google search for any given year the MBP has been in production and come up with a myriad of negative results;

2012 Macbook Pro issues

2011 MacBook Pro issues

2010 MacBook Pro issues

2009 MacBook Pro issues

2008 MacBook Pro Issues

2007 MacBook Pro issues

2006 MacBook Pro issues

So employing this logic, one should never buy a Mac " on forums such as MacRumors, those with issue, those that believe they have been aggrieved and the "Haters" will always generate the most traffic for nothing more than their own personal motives. My own Retina has no issue: it runs significantly cooler than my Late 2011 2.4 i7 15" MBP sat right next to it on the same desk, no loss in frame rate, no throttling at all.

What I do see as a loose observation year after year is that those who don't actually own the latest release tend to make the most noise, more so than ever this year with Retina. Apple`s hardware is not perfect, equally it`s not the tragedy that some paint it out to be year on year. If you don't like what Apple produces don't buy it, if you have genuine issue speak with Apple directly, it`s no more complex than that, and a little less drama would be good...

11. KPOM macrumors G5

The LG displays are more prone to image retention, but it can happen on the Samsung, too. Plus, not all LG displays have noticeable image retention. I don't notice any on my 13" rMBP.

By "noticeable," I don't mean that you can't find it if you run an extreme test such as the checkerboard test. If I run that for about 30 minutes, I can detect a very faint image for a minute or so, but I have never noticed any image retention in normal use (even playing chess).

12. mykem macrumors regular

Not only are unlucky but apparently not very savvy either. A simple backup of the photos onto a HDD or a USB stick would've solved the hijacking problem. IR doesn't render your rMBP useless.

13. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

14. MacKid macrumors 6502

First, one of your USB ports stopped working?

And then you had image retention?!?

We need to get started on a class action suit.

15. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

Totally agree with Queen6.
    My original iPhone 2g still works great as an iPod. Still good battery. 1st Gen
    Had a pre unibody Macbook pro, worked great ,now Sold.
    2011 Feb 15 inch Macbook pro had no problems, bought an iMac 21.5 in August 2011, never gave an issue. Sold both
    Bought rMBP 15 and Macbook Air 13 in July, Both running without a hitch.
    Had iPad3, Traded for an ipad4, works great. Gives like 14-15 hr battery on a charge.
    I have an iPhone 4s, my wife an iPhone 5, both work great.
    I guess I have been very lucky when it comes to Apple.
    Never returned or exchanged, Never bought Applecare either.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So many unhappy smilies... however I feel that all you had was:

1. USB port problem on the first machine -> replaced
    2. image retention problem on the second machine -> being repaired

While I understand that this is annoying, it hardly qualifies as a "horrible experience." Also, make a backup before you bring it in for any type of repair. That should save you the horrible horrible experience of having to reinstall stuff.

17. HookEmHorns82 macrumors newbie

18. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

While all of this is a hassle, especially since you don't have a Apple Store with a Genius Bar nearby (I have like 7 close by-I live in Los Angeles:) ) But you are over reacting a bit. And NEVER take your computer, iPhone or iPad in without backing it up first. I mean NEVER. If I'm going in just to window shop I back up my iPhone before I go. It's just automatic at this point. But you are correct about one thing. I will never buy a First Generation anything. Apple always holds out on a couple buzzers and bells for the next generation.

19. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Seems like the most problem occur in BTO retina MBP's.

20. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Don't say that. I'm maxing out my Ram

21. Bokes macrumors 6502

Are the current in stock 13inch retinas somewhat safe?
    I was considering picking one up.
    Samsung screen is free from issue?

I wonder if the clerk in the Apple store will let me boot up out of box- in store- and check if screen is Samsung?

22. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

23. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

There is no way of identifying the panel manufacturer in 13 in. Retina Macbook Pros.

The Terminal commands out there apply to the 15 in. only.

24. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

25. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

It is not a BTO macbook pro. It was 2012 high end standard model.