My horrific day/confused about ATT pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micool, Jul 12, 2008.

1. micool macrumors newbie

To my horror, my parents switched their service to Verizon today. I've been waiting for the iphone for over a year and now its forever out of my reach. To prove to my parents that they were making a mistake, we went to an ATT store to ask about their iphone pricing. They told me that a basic family plan was 69 dollars, but that the iphone had their own family plans. If the plan had an iphone, the cheapest plan starts at 129 per month for one phone and then add addition non iphones onto the plan for ten dollars.

Is this true? I thought the iphone was thirty dollars extra, but the monthly plan seems to jump $60. Should i try another store or am i stuck with verizon's dare (which isn't bad, but its no iphone)

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

the family iPhone plan starts with minimum of 2 iPhones on the plan which explains the extra 60 dollars. Each additional iPhones will cost you $39.99 which breaks down to 9.99 additional line plus $30 data plan.

If you only have 1 family plan, then its the normal family plan plus 9.99 plus the $30 data plan for the 3rd line. I'm assuming your parents would be no.1 and no.2

3. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

It's true..... http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

4. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

Go here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

Since you are new customer, you will pay $199 for the 8GB 3G iPhone and $299 for the 16GB 3G iPhone. Family plans for the iPhone start at $129.99 for 2 lines and then 39.99 for each line added to the plan. The plan includes unlimited data and unlimited visual voicemail. Text messaging will have to be added. You could purchase the text message plan for each line for 20.00 for unlimited or you could purchase the unlimited family text messaging for the entire account for 30.00.

I hope this helps. If this information doesn't. Ask me and I'll help you. :)

5. micool thread starter macrumors newbie

love the quick replies, thanks. this is what i was confused about. do you have to have 2 iphones on a plan. the ATT people wouldn't let me get the regular family plan with wanting 1 iphone. They insisted that i had to have the "iphone family plan" which michaelmaxwell2 linked to (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp) which is 60 dollars more.

6. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

No.... each regular phone you add is a extra 9.99 and each extra iphone you add is 39.99 i believe. But you need more than one regular or iphone handset to have a family plan.

7. micool thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the confusion. i meant they wouldn't let me get a regular family plan with three other non iphones and 1 iphone. they said adding 1 iphone would make it an "iphone family plan" which would cost 60 dollars more.
    should i try another store, have other people had similiar experience, an i doomed never to have an iphone? lol

8. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Oh thats correct what the bill would look like is this

1) Iphone family plan starting at 129.99 (including data and wifi hotspots)
    2) regular phone 9.99
    3) regular phone 9.99
    so the bill would be around 149.97 plus any taxes or state fees . It would not change if you went to another store the Iphone has different plans than any other cellphone that cingular/att wireless offers.

9. tilman macrumors regular

No, that is not true. You were looking at a setup with *two* iPhones. The cheapest family plan that is eligible for iPhone use is the 700 minute plan at $69.99 per month. Each extra line is $9.99. Add a $30 data plan for *each* 3G iPhone (or $20 for the original iPhone). A family plan with one 3G iPhone and one normal phone is $69.99 + $30 = $99.99. One iPhone and two normal phones is $69.99 + $9.99 (3rd line) + $30 (iPhone data plan) = $109.98. I have an old iPhone, a new iPhone, and a regular phone on my account, and that costs me $69.99 + $9.99 (third line) + $20 (old iPhone data plan) + $30 (new iPhone data plan) = $129.98.

10. micool thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, so commercials lie then. changing 1 phone from a regular phone to an iphone on a family plan raised the cost by 60, not 30. Thanks for clearing things up michaelmaxwell2, hcoteen2008, and FarSeide. i guess i'll wait for the 4G iphone to come out on cheapter cariers:(

11. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you guys are terrible at math, the family plan is for 2 iphones. if you have 1 iphone and 1 regular phone (without data) you can drop that monthly rate to 99.99. I have no idea where you guys are getting your numbers. He is only getting 1 iphone and all the charts on AT&T's site are for 2 just as it was with the last iphone. this has been confirmed so if you are paying that price and only have 1 iphone you are getting ripped off

12. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Are you sure? Because it may just say including two lines due to having to be two lines for it to be a family line. Or else I would of think that cingular would have the 69.99 listed.

13. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Ugh just go to another store and see what they say.......

14. Tweak3D macrumors regular

I know because I have a 2 line plan for that price as so several of my friends with only 1 iphone

15. Spongey817 macrumors regular

This is correct, and I can confirm it because I recently purchased an iPhone family plan.

I was an existing att customer with FOUR lines...all non-iphone. On friday I upgraded one line to the iPhone. I was assured by both att and apple that the monthly cost would only be raised by thirty dollars.

Purchasing an iPhone is like buying any other phone on att. All you have to do is add the thirty dollar data plan. So, figure out the cost of how many phones, then add the amount of data plans (according to how many iPhones on the plan)

16. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

And also we are not horrible with math it's not our fault that cingular likes to add including 2 lines in a 0.2 front.

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They were wrong.

By the way wasn't it their parents going to Verizon that triggered the Menedez brothers?

18. micool thread starter macrumors newbie

i do too, but they had G1 iphone. i thought they might have changed it. Just to clarify, the att sales person insisted that i would have to pay 129 dollars for one iphone and then 9.99 for three non iphones. ( a fortune more compared to 69)

I'll try another store, but its relatively far away which is why i wanted to confirm the pricing.