My i7 2011 Macbook Air doesn't work in clamshell mode anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbook123, Apr 19, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Well, it works but doesn't put it's own display to sleep, which means that open windows are scattered between the external display and internal (closed, invisible) display, rendering clamshell mode effectively useless.

Does nobody else have this problem? I've had it for about a month now.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may find some useful ideas here:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    One sleep problem caused by printers - solved ... and another

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but all that doesn't help.

I'd like to know if anybody with an i7 Air and the latest firmware and OS X updates does NOT experience this issue?

4. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

I have an i5 (1.6GHz) Air that I use in clamshell mode most of the time. Never really switch it off. I just plug and unplug the display. Works fine.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. And your sure that the internal Air display switches off while you use it in clamshell mode? I.e., when you hit the display in the menubar on the top of the display it only shows one display, your external one?

Thanks again.

6. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Yes, if I open it only a crack I can see that the display is off. Opening and closing get me those temporary blue screens and the expected rearrangement. Menubar icon also only reports the external display when in clamshell. Running 10.7.3 with latest updates.

If the links posted above don't help I don't know what might be wrong. Might be worth a visit to a genius bar?

7. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I have no issues using clamshell with my TBD. Just the one display is available when I close the lid. 2011 Air, 256GB, i7

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. philxor macrumors regular

This is a known problem with Lion, there are a number of threads on it scattered throughout this site and the Apple support forum. When you plug in the external display and wake from sleep the laptop LCD also becomes active. You can make things work properly if you restart the laptop while in clamshell mode... but not just waking from sleep.

I just open the laptop LCD up and move hidden windows over to the external display and then close it.

Do you happen to have a DisplayLink USB adapter at all now or in the past? Some reported the issue disappeared when removing the DisplayLink drivers, in my case it didn't make any difference.

Otherwise it is confirmed this is fixed in Mountain Lion.

11. macbook123, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you! I only just now saw this very interesting post.

Things like this are the reason I have all but given up on Apple. I mean come on, this is a known issue, and it is a huge issue affecting work flow and productivity, so one of their engineers should fix it! Or do they not have engineers anymore and only hire a couple of temps once every few years? I (and apparently many others) have had this problem for several months. You really have to wonder where all the Apple money goes...apparently the execs cars and yachts...