My i7- NOT hot or loud

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuse7284, Apr 26, 2010.

1. cuse7284 macrumors member

not sure if i got lucky or if the articles out there are hyperbole, but I just got my customized 15 i7 and its amazing. I have not had any issues with it being warm (in fact it seems cooler than all the other laptops I have used). As far as being loud, its BS. If there wasnt articles out there pointing it out, I would have never noticed. The sound is faint and doesnt seem annoying or abnormal. As far as battery goes, its amazing even using adobe suite and many other apps open at the same time.

Wanted to put it out there to those thinking of buying. I would say proceed WITHOUT caution. While I might be the only one, I would be extra careful about the articles out there that say otherwise. I am extremely happy with my purchase and imagine you will be too.

2. overcast macrumors 6502a

Try doing something beyond posting on MR and checking your Gmail.

3. cuse7284 thread starter macrumors member

im a graphic designer, but thanks

so im using tons of programs at the same time (cs4- photoshop, inDesign, illustrator, with apple mail, microsoft word, and many others). My computer is my career. Yes the battery isnt AS good as when your just "checking mail" but thats expected. Cant complain about my new mbp

4. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Thanks for posting this , i feel better now hehe.

I'm should be getting mine soon.

Enjoy your Macbook Pro

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I don't think any of those apps are going to stress the CPU or GPU for more than a few seconds before again becoming idle for a relatively long period of time. Gaming will stress the CPU and GPU. Video working will certainly stress the CPU and maybe the GPU to a lessor degree. Those are the things that generate heat.

If you have iStat you can get an idea of the CPU temperature. I would advise you to keep the lid open if you run with an external monitor. The heat build even on my 13 is a lot more if I tax the MPB with the lid closed.

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Been rendering HD footage on my 15" i7 and it gets hot as frak, wouldn't use it on my lap...even gets hot when watching a good deal of flash videos (ya know...youtube or whatever...yeah)

7. Err0xx macrumors member

Guess I Got Lucky Too

Been running geekbench back to back nonstop, with 100 GB transfer going in the background as well as video encoding all at once to stress the machine as high as I can get it. Keeping CPU usage at 98 - 100 % and GPU usage close to that. My MPB is still running cooler than windows machines running the same task; especially my coworkers HP Envy. My MPB Stats: 17" i7, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD. Guess I got lucky too. Breaking 9 hours battery life when just using word processing and web browsing yet keeping cool under heavy CPU stress. Also been playing Crysis on a Windows Bootcamp install; heat is still not bad, nowhere near the 100C recorded by some of these articles. Just my 2 cents- guess I got lucky too.

Err0xx