My iBook G3 Clamshell is Dead

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redheeler, Feb 23, 2015.

1. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Well, my iBook G3 Clamshell appears to be stone dead. The charging LED does not light when I plug the adapter in, and it does not respond to power button pushes. The power adapter is not the issue, I've tried two adapters which both work fine with my Powerbook G3.

Is there any hope for the iBook? I'm a bit saddened to see it die since it was my first PPC Mac and started my collection.

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Stupid question but have you tried the power reset button by the handle?

3. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Not a stupid question, I actually didn't think to do a PMU reset. No luck, it still doesn't appear to be receiving power.

4. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

on a hunch (from past PC Laptops) Try removing the Battery than power it up via the power adaptor. This works on all PC laptops i have tried but i dont know if Apple laptops will power up without batteries in them. I have never owned an iBook to know.

5. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

I have tried that and it still doesn't power up. The battery is dead anyway.

6. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

have you tried another battery? I had a IBM ThinkPad T600X (or was it a T60X?) either way i used it in school. the battery was shot so i bought an external one that works via the power adaptor plug. One day it stopped powering up but WOULD run for a few seconds on the shot internal battery. I assume something with the DC-to-DC board in the laptop failed.

7. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Unfortunately I don't have another battery and the one I do have doesn't hold a charge (it's original to the machine). I've always had to use it plugged in.

8. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My guess than is that it is the DC IN board (if that is seperate on the original iBook) If not you need a logic board

9. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Guess my iBook is a display piece for the time being then. Too bad.

At least the 14" PowerBook G3 266 next to it works great and even has a replacement battery that holds a charge.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree about the DC In board.
    When I look at Apple's service manual - that says to try unplugging the keyboard, which means that the Airport card would also be removed.
    Also, removing the RAM, and test again.
    But, if the light in the connector stays off - I think more likely, it's the DC-In board

11. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

perhaps the charger is dead... Can you test it on a different computer?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OP said that he already tried power adapters that work in another PowerBook.

13. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

oops, I noticed it now... Sorry to hear about this OP, like you said, it would make a nice display piece.

14. GraniteTheWolf macrumors 6502

If it is the DC-IN board as some have suggested, thats a CHEAP and rather easy to replace part once your inside.

It IS separate from the motherboard.