My iBook G3 (dual USB) is silver?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dustinschings, Jan 27, 2017.

1. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I have noticed on some photos online of the Dual USB iBook G3s that the trackpad casing was not really white, more like a silver color. Well, I bought one on eBay and when it arrived, it was not the usual white I am used to on my G4 iBook, it is definitely a silver shade. I know the keyboards were different colors (G3 vs G4) but haven't ever ready anything about the casing being silver vs white. Another thing was the charger was a Yoyo style. This is a 600MHz G3 version BTW.

Anybody know whats up? Is this a normal model? Do I have a "rare" or collectable? That would be awesome as I did buy it for my PPC collection.

Dustin

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Some of the early white iBook didn't use white plastic, only a layer of white on the inside of a clear case.
    Not an uncommon mod to remove that layer and either have a seethrough iBook or something funky.
    Pictures would be nice.

3. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I only have one at the moment, and will post more later this evening. It's not really noticable in this photo too much, but is in real life.

iBook Silver.jpg

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Looks more like the white color changing due to age or sunlight.

5. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Looks like mine ... ;)
    The "translucent" iBook-G3 came with a silver-colored "upper-case" and translucent-white keys - it looks especially nice. The later opaque iBook-G3 looks the same like the the iBookG4 but sports a smelly keyboard. Follow your nose :>/

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The 1st generation 500 and 600MHz iceBooks were all clear white/silver looking. They starting doing the opaque white later on when they introduced the 700MHz with the Radeon 7500.

7. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I discovered this smell at school due to it traveling to other people quickly and made me gag a few times. :(keyboard-less iBook G3 it is now

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

9. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

My iBook is definitely one that has the top (back of screen) and bottom (underside of laptop) that is the clear plastic with the layer of white underneath and it looks very clear still and beautiful. When the laptop is open, the top cover (palm rest and area surrounding the keyboard) is silverish in color, and VERY nice. While I was thrown off at first as I have ALWAYS seen iBooks in white only, it grew on me and I think it does look very sharp.

Anyways, iBook is running great with OS 9.2.2 on one partition and Tiger on another. Wanted to keep Panther instead but couldn't find a decent web browser for Panther. I had better luck using Classilla in OS 9 than I did on anything in Panther. It was a shame too because Tiger is much slower on this model and it is very noticeable.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think Demeter will run in Panther. I was using Panther on our G5 at work until mid 2009.

Sheesh, sounds like I'm a shill for Demeter lately! :D

11. weckart macrumors 68040

My 14" 700MHz also has a silver upper case. Came with a standard white square charger, though, although some of the early square chargers had a silver coloured jack.

12. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Mine came with the yoyo silver charger, but I do know a friend who has a white brick style with the silver plug without the LED Ring on it.