My iBook G4 has issues...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by htg, Apr 25, 2010.

1. htg macrumors regular

I was playing a game (Marble Blast Gold) on my iBook G4 and twice, yesterday and today, when I was playing it, the iBook just crashed and I had to reboot. It works fine on everything else its just on games I can't play them for more than 10 minutes.

Can anybody help?

You can get the specs of my iBook from my sig.

Thanks.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Well, you have pretty much the best iBook ever made. Is the ram maxxed? If not, up it; if so, start playing on your MacBook as the newer flash (provided the game is flash based) has some issues with PPC.

Hate to say it (as I own 4 PPC macs), but the PPC era is finally reaching it's twilight. Don't feel too bad, we lasted about 3 years longer than most of the people on this board gave us. ;)

3. htg thread starter macrumors regular

My iBook has 1gb of ram, I can up it to 1.5 but it runs really smooth on everything else. Also, I forgot to mention that I have played before on the iBook with no issues. It's just yesterday that it started crashing.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Have you run all the standard tests in disc utility? Permissions repairs, disc test, checked the SMART status, etc? You may also want to download and run Cocktail (or Onyx, they're pretty much the same) and run all the repairs/utilities. But if everything else still works fine, running a permissions repair may solve it, and if not try reinstalling the game...

5. htg thread starter macrumors regular

I verified/repaired the permissions and it worked!

Thanks again!

6. htg thread starter macrumors regular

It's happened again. As if my video card has crapped out. Was playin the same game, the screen flickers and then seconds later shuts down. I repaired the disk permissions recently, so I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem.

Also it rebooted afterwards but when I first held down the power key nothing happened so I tried again and the fan turned on and went crazy for about a minute before booting normally.

Please Help.

I hope nothings crapped out.