My ibook G4 keeps restarting on its own!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stickfiggr, Jan 22, 2008.

1. stickfiggr macrumors newbie

hi

"I have had this laptop for 4 yrs now, and its never really failed me. I am running panther on it OSX 10.3.9. The battery is shot and has been for a while so i removed it and run my ibook only on electricity while plugged in. It seems like this problem improved a bit after I ran computer without the battery in it. Now it has started again, it can restart at any time. I have reset PMU and PRAM, and run disk utility as well as cocktail, and the problem still occurs. I called mac support as well but they had nothing useful to say, although they did not think the battery being shot or removed from the computer would cause this problem, I have not tried installing a new battery yet waiting to be able to afford it. Many times this problem happens after i try to wake the computer from sleep mode. HELP!!! any suggestions? I got to figure this out asap. Thanks."

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any third party hardware plugged in or installed? Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test that came on the iBook's original discs?

3. stickfiggr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply....no I dont have any third party hardware plugged in or installed, I have an external La Cie HD but its only plugged in when needed. I have had this ibook for 4 yrs now so the Hardware test cd is not available, I dont have any of the CDs that came with it when i bought back then. Do you think updating my OS to tiger and reformatting the whole computer could help? I am on Panther now.
    The only thing is that I cant tell if it s a HW or Software problem so reformatting and updating OS might not help at all.....!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's the key. It might all be a waste of time. Have you checked Console in the Utilities folder to see if any of the crash logs may have picked something up? It's unlikely if the machine is simply restarting, but it's worth a shot. If there's nothing there then that's usually a good sign the problem is hardware-based, unfortunately.