My idea for a future iPod touch OS

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sehnsucht, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

This is what the iPod touch OS will look like after I take over Apple from Steve Jobs. :D

Obviously, it's a mobile version of OS X. The dock shows running applications. QuickTime handles playback of music, videos, and YouTube. The Widgets icon represents the App Store. Also, note the RAID icon (emphasis on "future", since this generation of iPod touch will feature multiple solid-state drives configurable to RAID Level 50, and will still be just as thin as it is now. ;) ) Additional features include Bluetooth 3.0 AD2P stereo audio, certified 802.11n, and other as-of-yet Top Secret bells and whistles. :D

Well, what do you guys think? :D

EDIT: Oh yes, and I'll do away with the proprietary iPod connector and replace it with an eSATA port.

Prices: $199 for the 8TB model, $399 for the 16TB model, and $599 for the 32TB model. ;)

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

1) The current OS is already a mobile version of OS X.
    2) Terabytes will just be totally worthless. No one would need that amount of space in a portable device; if you want it so badly buy a computer and/or a portable hard drive. Right now it's unprofitable for Apple to even use 64GB flash drives, so it'll be a hell of a long time until it'd be profitable to get into terabytes (and I don't see Apple ever using a hard drive like in the iPod classic in the touch).
    3) Sorry but I think your mock-up looks terrible. The icons on the black part of the screen much bigger than the ones in the dock? Apple's designs are all about alignment and symmetry; that just doesn't work.
    4) Changing the connection method would totally alienate anyone wanting to use the iPod with older accessories. Same as this year with the dropping of Firewire support.

I'm also curious as to why both Safari and Quicktime are amongst the main apps, but are also in the dock.

My two cents.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

alright, i like your idea
    especially bluetooth that way i can transfer stuff to my ipod if i ever need to like pdf or docs
    but, terabytes is just too much i think ppl would be happy with a 320gb (well thats for the ipod classics)
    the icons are like a complete rip of regular OS X i would rather want a totally different look and feel if its a new OS
    most of all macs as of now dont have eSATA support (i think, well for macbooks) i rather stick with USB, even better firewire (my FW port is feeling lonely and unloved... :( )

4. stallmanite macrumors newbie

Pricing???

Ummm, terabytes of disk space? You're kidding, right? Gigabytes of disk space on a solid-state drive are very expensive, let alone terabytes. Plus, you'd need some kind of very small, very powerful processor capable of running bloated OSX.

When you add in the "design" factor since it's a "good" product made by apple, you're looking at, well, thousands of dollars in price. Unless a) you have a magic tree that grows solid state hard drives or b) this is a very future release (like 10 years or so,) you're sadly deluded, Sehnsucht.

5. goobimama macrumors regular

The iPhone is brilliant as it is. That interface looks really ghastly. Although if you want that you can pretty much get it after a little jailbreaking :)

6. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Yeah this looks cool but its the same thing thats on the current Iphone just in a different order. What they shoukd do is allow the user to pick icon placemens instead of presetting them.

7. detz macrumors 65816

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

isnt this the iphone already, just different icons??

and why replace ipod connector with esata?

sorry, this is a stupid idea if i may say so lol

9. goobimama macrumors regular

Uh… Can't you like do that already?

10. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I am not sure I dont own a iphone but I wish I did that would be awesome

11. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Why must everyone be so mean? It's just a mockup.

I like it, but I think that the dock icons and regular icons should be the same size.

Attached Files:

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Samsung beat you to the idea of custom icons. Go to http://www.emodio.com/uci/uciList.action and have a look around. The Samsung P2 is also a touchscreen media player. No WiFi, but excellent bluetooth and FM with RDS and recording. I have both, and prefer the P2 for music. Touch for WiFi and apps.

13. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I am very aware of that LOL...I was thinking more like 15 years but whatever. :D Additionally I realize that terabytes of storage on an iPod/iPhone would be extreme overkill even if it was cheap, but if you think about the fact that the current 120GB iPod classic can hold about 30,000 songs...who the hell has 30,000 songs on their iPod? ;)

Oh my God I just realized something: if in 15 years the iPhone has 16TB of storage, what will the Mac Pro be like?! :eek: Can't wait!!!

14. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

The dock is for running applications. If there happen to be none open, then it "auto-hides". :D

15. Funplex macrumors regular

I'd rather have a hoverboard than an iPod Touch with 16TB of space (Seriously... who has that much crap for an iPod?).

That-- and the icons are way too large, and randomly placed. It looks like a cluttered mess.

I know it's a mock up, but you're bound to get feedback for posting it.

16. Master Debater macrumors member

Oh my God I just realized something: if in 15 years people will buy an iPhone that has 16TB of storage, what will our IQ be like?! :eek: Can't wait!!!

17. rorycornell macrumors newbie

rorycornell

:apple:

A. You are not going to replace steve jobs
    B. Sorry but that mockup kinda Sucks

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

Don't like the layout. Prefer the current more symmetric icon one with a flat dock.

Don't agree with eSATA. Think FW800 or 3200 would be better, and simpler, using the same connector for data transfer/syncing.

As for the comments about space, who knows where we will be in 10 years, let alone 20, storage space wise. HD capacities increased over 1,000 times in the past 10 years. RAM memory has seen a similar increase. It is quite possible that we will see huge memory capacities in a handheld device 10 years from now.

Some predict that the smart phone will replace your computer. You will be able to use a virtual keyboard (already exists) and some sort of foldable display (already exists, sort of). So many possibilities.

If you look back 10, 20 and 30 years, you can get an idea of just how far we've come. And the changes will only get faster.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The OP is obviously joking/kidding/pulling legs and I can't believe people are both praising and bashing his statement.

The fact that someone actually likes the joke mockup means they need to get a clue, and the fact that someone thinks the OP was serious means they need to calm down.

Funny concept though OP, and that 120GB classic does a great job of holding uncompressed audio and 20-30 movies nicely.

20. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I don't ge why so many people are like 16 TB what a waste :confused: 15 years ago if someone told you in 15 years you would be able to have 120 GB in your pocket you would have been like "OMG no way!!!!!!111 who could ever fill up 120 GB in their pocket duma**?!" but now people do. Think of uncompressed music in wav is about 10 MB per minute, apple loseless halves that so 5 MB per minute. 30,000 songs at an average of 3 minutes is 90,000 minutes * 5 = 450,000 MB which is about 439 GB. Lets say this audiophile has 100,000 songs not 30,000 that's about 1.429TB just music. Now its also lets not forget about video, I'm not going to get all into it but video is much bigger than audio and who knows what new "high-def" scam they'll have in 15 years. That's bound to be huge. Also lets not forget apps in 15 years it may be a huge gaming platform on par with PCs (not in graphics or anything probably, but I'm sure it will have huge games 1 GB+ ). Also who knows, office suite? The iphone and ipod touch have set up an inroads to mobile computing in 15 years how do we know what these devices will do, saying 15 years in advance that 16TB is overkill is just plain ignorant.

21. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Jesus, 16TB? You can't even fit 16TB onto a modern motherboard, much less a small handheld device. :p

But hey, you never know. Maybe in the future we'll need iPods that hold 5+ million songs. Yeah. $1 a song in iTunes... that's five million dollars of music. :eek:

22. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

10-15 years. Guaranteed. Fifteen years ago we were working with computers that could hold mere megabytes!

23. kyto macrumors member

and 10-15 years in the future people will laugh at the idea of an ipod touch as there will be touchscreen vacuums and lamps.

24. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

LOL at the people taking the 16TB seriously. The TS was obviously joking. :rolleyes:

BTW You think 16TB is silly now, but wait a while and you'll find that those numbers will be the norm at some point. Anyone remember when 32MB of ram was top of the line for a PC? Or when having a hard drive at all in your Apple was the new "in" thing? I do, and I can say for a sure thing that at some point we'll all be laughing at the times when our smart phones only had 8GB of space on them.

25. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Looks like a jailbroken iPod touch with a large icon theme to me. :confused: