My iLife '09 review

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dandeco, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

Well, with iLife '10 (or maybe even iLife X) along the way, and having just used iLife '09 since July, I thought I'd share my thoughts and reviews on each component...

iPhoto is perhaps my most-used iLife application. I take quite a bit of digital photos, so naturally the program comes in handy for what I want to do. I really like the Events auto-split thing, it saves time from having to scan through the entire library for a certain event or having to create albums for each one. I also like the editing features. They seem to give even better results than the editing features on Google Picasa! Full-screen editing is nice, as always. The "Faces" feature is actually pretty funny when it gets faces wrong during detection, and I haven't used the "Places" feature yet. Overall, I think iPhoto is a nice solid application.

I didn't use iMovie '09 that much, seeing as I had a G4 Mac with an incompatible graphics card (my replacement eMac has a 1.42 GHz G4 processor and a Core Image-compatible graphics card, so the hack install would probably work fine here), but I DID use it on the iMacs at my college's TV editing lab. It does take some getting used to if you are more familiar with the old iMovie or other timeline-based editors, but some features are handy for me, such as the the trim selection tool when selecting a clip in the event library to put in the project. It also seems better than iMovie '08, since it has the themes, more transitions and effects, and its precision editor. Once I get it running I'll toy with it more.

I only used iDVD once, when making a DVD for my aunt and cousins. (I did this on my older G4, so I used iMovie HD 6 to add chapter points.) I like the themes and the export quality, though. It sure seems to beat the Windows-based DVD creators like Nero or Pinnacle Studio!

I've used GarageBand a few times, and it seems pretty fun. It should come in handy in my next bigger movie project. The interface is also better than the previous versions.

iWeb is also a nice little program. I managed to create a website on it thanks to the FTP upload server. THAT'S much more convenient than in old versions, according to what I heard.

Overall, a good solid upgrade, but you need at least 1 GB of RAM and a 1 GHz G4 processor to get the most out of it! (except for the Intel-only stuff)

2. Razeus macrumors 601

It's only got 2 really useful programs. Everyone does photos so that gets the attention. I recently (after a year) used iMovie since I'm doing more videos on a basic camera that I use to take snapshots of stupid stuff (it can do 720HD, which doesn't look all that great but still) and doing video on my iPhone. Those are the only 2 programs I use and quite frankly the rest stink. I'm hoping that the revamp the suite and add something more useful. But for $60 it's a great suite.