My Imac 2009 is a little slow at start up?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clickey-grl, Jan 28, 2012.

1. clickey-grl macrumors newbie

Hello, I remember that when I first got it out of the box my imac would start up (or boot up) quickly. But now it starts up a little slower...

Do I need to do some cleaning on my computer?
    I don't know how...
    I have heard about OnyX and using the Disk Utility but I still don't know what to do since I still don't know much about the applications that imac has or the other software like onyx.
    and I don't know how to use the Time Mashine IF I need to use it in order to clean my imac...?

this must be a funny question but, am I safe without an antivirus on my imac :p

thanks.

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

if not broke don't fix it. It's normal for startup to slowdown as add apps that run at startup. the more apps that run at startup the slower startup is and like my comp the slower the shutdown as it close all running apps before. I think apps like onyx are not really necessary unless you never leave comp on overnight as mac runs its owm cleanup program but it set for 3.00am in morn. why people worry about startup speed makes me laugh. take life easy switch on comp make a coffee return to comp up and running relax enjoy. oh yes -I use itweax but onyx does same thing but i only use it to run the apple daily/ weekly/monthly cleanup progs as i not leave my comp on overnight a lot. as for an antivirus i think it not a necessity unless you pass a lot of work etc between your mac to a pc. If you're thinking about getting an antivirus app ma ]y i suggest clamxav it free and unintrusive i've had it on my comp purring in background and noticed it uses just 2% of one core. although it very very very rare that a mac can get a virus i think it only fair that your comp not used as carrier to pass on. hope been helpful.

----------

oh yes Time machine not cleanup prog it's a backup prog .I take it you didn't read the booklet that came with your comp then as in there it gives info what progs do. if you need any help or have prob you could always go to help in menu bar and type in hint of what prob is sometimes comes up with an answer that helps.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Performance Tips For Mac OS X
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    You don't need to manually run the daily/weekly/monthly Mac OS X maintenance scripts. If your computer is asleep or off at the time they're scheduled to run, they will automatically run the next time your computer is on.