My iMac 21" 2010 dark spots are spreading.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FatGuy007, Aug 17, 2012.

1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

You may think this was a stupid idea, but since I work overseas (I have an apartment in New york), I visited New york, the day before I went to the airport to go back to my work, I bought an iMac. It was one of the most exahusting airport trips, carrying the huge box everywhere. I came home setted it up, at start I noticed this dark circles or oval shape on the top left corner. I thought it was going to go away or something, but it was something small. 2011 I saw it on top right corner, but I've hesitated (I only had 2 months left of complimentary support) again and just left it. It's now 2012, if there is a white color on the thing the dark spot, its dreadful to look at. Unfoturantley as stupid as I am, I got no applecare. Now I am stuck of this partly-defective screen. Is there a way to fix this? it is starting to disturb my working and web browsing. And does anybody know the cause?
    I heard of away to get one of those gps suction cups so I'm not sure thats safe for a screen.
    *I tried to take the best picture but the screen refuses to let me take a good one.

Attached Files:

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Classic and widespread iMac problem. Dirty displays. Pretty common actually. My machine has it too so I know how you feel. Damn effin' annoying.

Current analysis the problem is caused by either dust sucked in into LCD matrix, or burn-mark by heat produced by the machine itself.

Since you're out of warranty, you can only replace the whole display, go with 3rd party supplier for cheaper parts, but you have to do the repair yourself. Or pay premium for Apple official repairs.

A few claimed to have a good luck and had Apple replace the screen for free out of warranty. Just don't hope it would happen twice though.

Or you can try to clean the screen yourself, it's risky but you have nothing to lose anyway. Some ended up damaging their own screen.
    Read this thread for further information.

3. takezo808 macrumors member

have you tried to clean it using an LCD TV cleaning kit? It could just be just superficial dirt or even oxidation of the surface of the screen.

4. FatGuy007, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!
    A lot of good info and solutions based on your answer! I always thought of people who carried these huge iMac absolutley silly, now I have Karma :D
    May I ask how much is the apple repair?

----------

Yes, I wiped the screen for 2 minutes but it stayed exactly the same. It seems to be inside the display.

5. iSayuSay, Aug 17, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Doesn't matter if you move it often or not, the problem does come back in my case. I had the screen replaced under warranty, only to realize it reappears in a few months. Now I'm on my 3rd screen and it's appearing again, soon it will be my 4th.
    Yuck, like a nasty disease.

This is why I wouldn't go with another iMac for my next computer. Too much hassle and time loss for a working and playing machine.

You may want to calculate your option though, since you're OOW, iMac screen replacement can be expensive, and the problem might come back.
    So I suggest you buy a decent external display instead? Cheaper, and you get another 1 year warranty for a new display purchase. Peace of mind.
    I know it looks fugly and defeat the purpose of AIO. But hey, it might saves you some dollars.

Just some ideas to be considered.

EDIT: OOW 27" display replacement costs you $500 - $600, so for 21.5", I'd say you're looking at $300 - $400. That's why you might wanna consider my idea. Or not. :D

6. iCaleb macrumors 6502

Why doesn't apple just fuse the glass to the lcd panel to make it sealed?

And if apple ever had get inside the machine.....the glass and lcd panel would be all in one piece.

Better yet.....Have the fused all in one glass + lcd panel fold so the user could replace HDD...RAM....ETC.....sort of like the HP Z1.

And to replace the HDD & other parts the HP doesn't even require tools it just all snaps in/out of place!!

Come on Apple wake up!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

We are kind of on a budget since I just got a brand new laptop, yes a thunderbolt display will probably be next purchase. I will probably sell my iMac for a few hundred dollars noting its defective. but I am waiting for either the Anti-glare or retina display, one or the other on the thunderbolt.

----------

Since when did Apple listen to their customers :D

8. iSayuSay, Aug 17, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

What I meant by external display wasn't had to be Apple Display. They cost an arm and a leg :D. Any $300 Samsung or Dell monitor would be fine, not looks as good but it works since most of them come with mDP input.

About your iMac I'd say sell it too. It becomes more of a liability rather than an asset. Plus you get additional money if you want to get on Thunderbolt Display. It's rarely plagued by the same problem.

Good luck.

9. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Now lets see if somebody will buy my broken worn-out defective iMac :)