My iMac 27" 5K

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by iamchrisstone, Feb 18, 2018.

1. iamchrisstone macrumors newbie

iamchrisstone

Here is my new setup. I bought back at the end of November. My primary use is for editing 4K video from my drone and 360 degree photos and video from my GoPro Fusion. Are there any tips to maximize performance or tips to help keep my machine running as long as possible?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
    macOS High Sierra
    Version 10.13.3
    4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    500 GB SSD
    Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

External 3 USB3 slots with 27 card reader mounted under the iMac

Displays (total of 3)
    27-inch (5120 x 2880) (the iMac)
    Dual LG Ultra HD Display 27-inch (3840 x 2160)

Storage
    Super Drive - I still haven't used it yet, but at least I have it.

500 GB Flash Storage (Macintosh HD) used for programs and stuff that stays on the iMac

WD 8TB External HDD - used for every day storage such as pics, documents and stuff most people keep on their machines..

1 TB External SSD (I forget exactly which one) - used for my work flow if all the footage is smaller than 1 TB

12 TB External HDD RAID 0 - used for my work flow if all material is over 1 TB; This runs pretty fast, but still nothing compared to SSD. Will upgrade to a large SSD RAID setup later this year.

Backup
    I use BackBlaze. It backs up all of my iMac and 1 external (I have it backup my 8TB)

Time Machine - I have a 4 TB WD My Passport I used for Time Machine because I also have an iMac at the office and a Macbook Pro, so I partitioned it and use Time Machine at least once a week on all machines.

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I would add a clone backup. Just like a seat belt and an air bag protect you in different ways when driving, you need both Time Machine and a clone for full protection.

Software used to Clone:

CarbonCopyCloner http://www.bombich.com/download.html (All options are available free for 30 days)

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/ (Free forever to do an erase and install. Purchased version allows for smart updates and schedules)

3. iamchrisstone thread starter macrumors newbie

iamchrisstone

I'm using BackBlaze online backup. You suggest running another backup system so that'll be 3 different backup solutions? BackBlaze backs everything up except my actual TM (Time Machine) backkup.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

I agree with the clone recommendation.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner. You can boot the machine from a clone backup in the event of a drive failure and it is a LOT quicker and easier to restore from than Time Machine.

5. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Agree with Carbon Copy Cloner and I also suggest Backblaze B2 with ARQ as an off-site backup.

What are you using for input? I bought the Magic Trackpad 2 and find it much easier and more accurate than a mouse.

6. iamchrisstone thread starter macrumors newbie

iamchrisstone

I'm going to have to check this out!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is ARQ? Also, I prefer the Magic Mouse over the trackpad. IDK why. At least I'm assuming so. I'm comparing my mouse to the trackpad on my Macbook and I'm assuming they are the same.

7. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Probably simpler to read this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/arq.2017935/

Yes, the trackpads are pretty much the same which is the reason I like them, I've got the same usage and gestures on both machines.