My iMac auto "Safe-booted?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrogers, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mrogers macrumors member

My iMac was Shut Down properly, there was no interruption or manual force shut down. It was just Shut Down normally. But when I turned it back on a few minutes later, it took a really long time to load and then there was a status bar at the bottom for its progress. I have never ever seen this happen before in the 6 months that I have had this iMac. Then when it finally finished booting. It said "Safe Boot" under where I sign in with my password to access the desktop. And the mouse and keyboard were not recognized by the Bluetooth for a few seconds, and messages popped up notifying me of that.

Does anybody know why this happened? I am very puzzled-- Is something wrong with my Mac or did something happen to it while it was shut down, becasue it was perfectly normal prior to.

Also, doing any kind of search functions doesnt work either. I am trying to search for programs/files in the upper right corner, and nothing comes up.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Just some random thoughts:

- Open Disk Utility and repair permissions.

- While in Disk Utility, choose to "verify" your internal drive, and see what it reports. NOTE: you can't "repair" the internal drive when you're booted from it. To do this, you'd have to boot from the System DVD, and go to Disk Utility and repair from there. DU can't "repair the drive that it's running on".

- It's possible some info that normally gets updated at Shutdown time didn't get written or stored properly. Thus, at the next bootup, the System didn't have everything "it needed to know" (such as cache files that get read at bootup), and had to "go hunting" to find the necessary info.

3. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I had the same thing happen (except for the BT issues) with my mid-2011 iMac after installing some software updates (I believe one of them updated the boot ROM). No issues since...

4. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

I shut down again, and turned it on, and this time it booted normally. it was just weird that it happened, I did not instal any new software that I know of.

5. cenkie macrumors newbie

Keeps happening!

The same exact thing keeps happening to my mid-2010 iMac after the update! If I shut down my mac, it starts in safe boot asking for my password. I enter my pasword, mac starts in safe boot, takes a while to recognize the BT keyboard and mouse. Then, if I click restart, evertything gets back to normal. Any solutions? Suggestions?