My imac burnt me, look at my numbers please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smattmul, May 26, 2008.

1. smattmul macrumors member

smattmul

i was feeling her up and i got burned, after several seconds, i was concerned a couple days since i bought it new from Apple when they came out a month ago.

I forget the software but my widget gives me, with eyetv 3 running, nothing like video editing

Mac HD 59
    CPU A 46
    CPU A 47
    GPU 60
    GPU DIODE 63
    GPU HEATSINK 58
    Ambient 24

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. and if you think this will result in problems in the distant future could you walk me through how i would up the fan RPM.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That all looks pretty much right to me, if it's in celsius then they're the sort of temperatures I see on my MacBook when it's running a few things.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Reaching inside a computer when it is on is usually unsafe.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Get a little saddle for the top, and keep a beverage warm. ;)

Relax, mine is toasty too. I can hold my hand on it with no problem.

Do you have the vents blocked in any way, including the bottom??

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Where were you touching the iMac that it burned you?

It is true that Macs get rather toasty. This is also true of some custom built servers I operate running linux and using Intel Core Quad processors (similar to those used in the Mac Pro). The processors just run hot and generate a lot of heat.

Generally I keep my hands away from the fan exhaust vents as those are quite warm :)

Anyway, your numbers are pretty much on par what what I've seen on multiple Macs. They're normal for a Mac in operation.

6. Jaschr macrumors member

She's only a month old.

"Hi, I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC..."

7. smattmul thread starter macrumors member

smattmul

8. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Lol good idea. But why didn't you think of it 6 months ago when people were having the major over-heating issues? lol. Could have put a good twist on something bad in a time of need ;)

Yep. Same. It's normal. Best not to feel your iMac up ;)

But in all seriousness, the graphics card can get VERY hot for no real reason, causing the rest of the iMac to heat up (it's aluminium so the heat is conducted by it)

Nothing to really worry about but best to try cooling it down a bit somehow it it's burning you. Do you have an electric fan you can blow on it? Or open a window and let some cold air in (assuming you live in a moderate climate).

If not, you may need Air conditioning... computers never react well with heat.

9. smattmul thread starter macrumors member

smattmul

so external fan, check

yah screw internal fans.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought mine was really really hot, then I got the laser probe and saw it was only 108°F on that top hot spot -- Just felt a lot hotter because aluminum conducts heat so well.