My iMac Concepts

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 12dylan34, May 24, 2012.

1. 12dylan34, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Alright, so it might not be that different from what we have now, but it's fun to look at while we're waiting for a new machine. Overall, I made it thinner and minimized the size of the chin. To the keen (or not so keen, really) eyed, these renders are far from perfect and I did them quickly, but I still think that they get the point across. All I did was downloaded a previously made model of the current generation and tweaked it a little bit.

As far as the practicality of the thinness, I realize that it might not allow for better components such as graphics cards, and believe me, I want a high performance machine as much as the next guy (these took a while to render), but it's just purely conceptual to make them this thin.

Attached Files:

2. Icaras, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nice work there for a quick amount of time.

Is that a white chin? Love white! However, what about making the entire front face white (bezel + chin), ala iMac G5?

3. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Very cool. It's almost looking like a gen 1 iPad. You should try a render with iPad 2/3-like lines.

4. Duckypoos macrumors member

Any chance of 1440*900 copies ? Just to have as some nice desktops :cool:

5. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, which one(s)?

6. Duckypoos macrumors member

The triple-rear pic would be cool thanks :)

7. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here you go. Let me know if you want any of the others.

Attached Files:

8. Duckypoos macrumors member

9. amenn, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

amenn macrumors newbie

This would be my favourite iMac

:)

Attached Files:

10. amenn macrumors newbie

By the way…

I like Your design! & The nice mountain shot on my scribble thing is by photographer Hans-Joachim Mengel, actually without permission to be honest.

11. macpants macrumors member

Have you considered sending these to Jonny Ive - He might start working on them soon !!!!:eek:

12. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

Make a picture with a 21" 27" and 32" version side by side!

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't fully understand why the notion of improvement is making the device thinner. For something stationary that's incredibly unimaginative as you won't gain much desk space or leverage in positioning. You don't even appreciate it when in use with something like an imac as you're looking dead on at the computer. You don't really transport it. There isn't a single improvement beyond that aesthetics when not in use. This will just become another dated concept. Also if you're going too thin, you'll eventually need higher rpm fans. I would take density over noise factor.

14. DeF46 macrumors regular

If the chin was very small I think they would try to get rid of it altogether or somehow make it black like the rest of the panel.

15. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's just purely conceptual to make them this thin. I realize that making a desktop thinner doesn't matter all that much, and that it has tons of technical limitations (I would much prefer performance over thinness in a desktop), but I really just set out to make something that looked cool. I wouldn't expect Apple to actually make them like this, I just wanted to have some fun.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I guess I get that. Since desktop gpus were mentioned, don't expect them either way. The common form factors are much larger, and going too custom on a component isn't something I'd expect with the imac. Even if the new macbook pros really do come out thinner like the rumors suggest, I doubt it will make much of a difference in actual use. A few mm really doesn't change much in terms of transportation, and weight is mostly affected by internals. The shell probably doesn't way that much.

17. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Ditch the optical drive., I presume the fans will be similar to the Retina MacBook Pros, possibly built in SSD flash storage plus possible 3.5" HDD or additional 2.5" HDD.
    User upgradeable RAM, a new layout of the internals, smaller PSU, remove the lip/chin of the iMac and resemble the thunderbolt display.

18. mapleleafer macrumors regular

Lots of people are calling for this, but I don't see it happening. It would look great, but where would Apple put its logo? Apple likes aesthetics, but it likes making money more.

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Probably the same thing they did with the Thunderbolt display and the new MacBook Pro Retina -- where the MacBook Pro label is not on the display but on the bottom case.

20. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

To be honest I really hate this idea here. The iMac is the pinnacle of apple design. It's landmark pretty much. Sure, the retina MacBook is apples new flagship but the iMac still stands as the most bueatiful. At least in my opinion. The thunderbolt display and the iMac need to be separately identiable. If you had one looking like the other then you lose the identity of the iMac altogether.

I wouldn't mind if next year they made i changes to the design beyond venting and retina display. Maybe changes to the shape of the back, maybe. They could add more ram slots and make it slightly easier to upgrade the HD and SSD and lastly, give it the best graphics hard they can. The iMac should be about the ultimate in graphics performance.

21. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

What did you use to make these?

22. GXms macrumors newbie

GXms

Great iMac concepts!! the mix of silver and black looks great!:)

23. 12dylan34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cinema 4D. I won't take all of the credit, I downloaded a current-gen iMac model and just tweaked it from there.