My iMac died. How to get back my data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caezar, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

My Core Duo iMac finally died after a period or random shutdowns and kernel panics. Now, I just can't turn it on anymore.

I am afraid that the logic board is to blame which will cost an arm and a leg to repair. I am also reluctant to bring it to repair as I would not want the repairmen to have a look at my hard-disk content (photos, personal finances files ,etc.).

If I don't repair my iMac and buy a new Mac, how can I retrieve my files and applications to install them on a new machine? Can I open the iMac, get the hard disk and connect to it as an external HD? I think this will enable me to get back the files (iLife libraries, Excel files, etc.). But will it enable me to get back my applications?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You can get back everything on the disk by hooking it up as a external HD.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get a cheap hard Drive enclosure and put the drive in plug it into your computer and transfer.

4. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Skunk, but how would I do that? If my iMac were still working, I could boot it in target mode. But when accessing the HD as an external drive how to transfer the apps? Is there such an option in OS X?

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Have you attempted to boot it into Target Disk mode? It may work. If not, crack it open and pull out the drive and put it in an enclosure. There are online instructions, and you dont have to be too careful getting it open, cuz, well, it's already dead.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The drive will have a standard connector, and so will the enclosure. You just have to plug it in and fire it up.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i think the "migration assistant" will do that for you