My iMac does not boot up....gives me an error message...can anybody help?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by francotripepi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. francotripepi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

please, I need help, I have a 2007 iMac, running snow leopard, this morning I was listening to music on YouTube and the application Safari quit unexpectedly. Skype was running. I turned Skype off and went to turn off the computer....as a reboot.....I opened the main menu, clicked on shutt off...and did absolutely NOTHING.....so I didi it manually.

It proceeded to start....with the grey screen and the apple in the middle, spinning wheel....and after a long while it showed this message.

Apple Problem.jpg

I did restart many other times...sometimes it gave me a black screen with some messages (always different) as in a dos format....but most of the times it showed the above screen.

Any one knows what it may be?

Thank you all

Franco

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have installer disks with it, if yes startup from the installer disk, then when the installer is there go into the menu bar on top and choose Disk Utilities, click on your HD and repair permissions and the disk, when finished start normally again, now see if it resolved your problem.

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

This is a "Kernel Panic".

The cause could be many different things. Could be bad RAM, or another defective component.

In the case of my own iMac G5, I had this happen because of a bad network card. Once I removed the card, all was fine.

4. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes...I remeber the dos like message talking about a Kernel.......what should I do?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

^^Probably no HW failure here, the OP shut it off manually, now this can cause file corruption, likely in the file structure and can be repaired.

6. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I repair it Justperry? Any suggestions...in lame terms, guys, I am not as versed as ALL of you are.....

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

As I said in my former Post, put the installer disk inside then shut it down, after this hold the C key when you start up, it should now startup from the CD/DVD, when the installer launched you'll see the menu Bar on top, click on Utilities(pretty sure it is called that way) and select Disk Utilities, it will open, when it is open click on your Hard disk on the left, on the right you'll see 4 buttons, two of them are repair permissions and repair disk, do one at a time, when finished close Disk Utilities, installer will appear again but go back to the menu and click restart.

8. francotripepi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and sorry Justperry....I will do as you suggest....I did not get it the first time.

Thank you ALL for your help!!!

Franco