My iMac doesn't like cds anymore. Help me convince it otherwise!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VE3NEF, Oct 9, 2008.

1. VE3NEF macrumors member

I put in a blank cd, or a music cd, and it just spits it out in disgust. What can I do to fix it?

Its a Intel 17'' intel iMac.

thx!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try buying one of those CD/DVD cleaners that are on CD. See if that helps.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Do you have apple care?
    sounds like your drive may have worn out.:(

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

If cleaning the drive lens as suggested, using both a CD/DVD cleaner disk AND compressed air from an aerosol can, doesn't work, then use Sys Profiler to determine what brand of optical drive is inside. If Matshita, I'd say it's time to replace it.

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

sounds like it might have died. easy to replace.. cheap... about $60-70 for a Pioneer K06 drive. www.mwave.com sells em cheap.

7. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses. Sorry for not having responded right away, i'm the worst procrastinator ever!

I'd like to point out that movie DVDs work fine. Should I still get the cleaning thing and see what happens?

edit: the cleaning cd + air spray doesn't work. Looks like i'm buying a new drive.

8. macfan79 macrumors newbie

instructions to replace DVD drive?

Hi all, I'm having the same problem... my iMac (slot loading, 5.1, OS X 10.4.11) no likey CDs or DVDs anymore. It's 2 years old. And yes, it's the Matshita brand of player. Is there any place online you know of that gives instructions on how to replace the drive yourself or am I pretty much going to have to take it somewhere and have it done? :confused:

Thanks...

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

YouTube has some good videos of dismantling iMacs of the type you have. I inevitably start with Google, using the keywords Dismantle XXX or Take Apart XXX or Disassemble XXX, and then follow the links from there. Often the web pages with clear sequential photos are better than the amateur grainy videos.

You might also try looking for a full tech manual the same way. Apple has got very possessive about its full repair manuals (not just the simple user guides), but there are still some nice guys out there who make them available - somehow.