My iMac froze (system freeze) while installing 10.5.3!!!! PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I beg!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, May 28, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I was installing it using the 198MB update from apple in a standalone installer I downloaded using Software update (I just chose Download Now from the Software Update File Menu). And during the installation, it froze. But the HD was still working, I was assuming its still installing. After A while when the installing finished, I did a hard reset. The computer did the two startup sounds, as usual with .x updates. About this Mac says I have 10.5.3. But all my applications say (from Get Info) they were last modified in Feb 12. the 10.5.2 update, and my installer won't let me install the update because it doesn't meet the requirements, I am now downloading a 536MB "combo" update, this is supposedly (as others have told me), will reapply 10.5.3 no questions asked, is this true?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Um...why not just wait for/run the combo update and find out :confused: and if it doesn't then backup, boot off your leopard DVD and re-install (i would do an erase and install) since it seems you're running two OS versions in the same machine/partition

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I am only running Mac... I don't see where you would get that from. I have a Time Machine Backup, so I guess I can restore from my last 10.5.2 backup right?

4. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Yes, he means that you have two versions of Mac on the same partition. 10.5.2 and 10.5.3... from the sounds of it, anyway.

And I think that's partially what Time Machine was made for... but wait for someone who actually knows to tell you.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

If About This Mac says 10.5.3, you are on 10.5.3.

What do you mean "all my applications", because keep in mind... many things in /Applications didn't get updated. Most things in my Applications directory haven't been updated since last year.

The installer won't install because you are already at 10.5.3.

Message me on AIM if you have any other questions, but really there shouldn't be. You're okay!

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

uhh, I have 3 other macs, and I think when all three of them have Mail, iCal, iChat, Address Book modified today, and me only having some of my applications modfied Feb 12 (.2 release), looks like it didn't get installed from the looks of it.

I downloaded the combo update, didn't install it yet, but looks like it should work!

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

it looks like it should work eh? Uh okay...

I would.. I don't know, check the VERSIONS of iChat and Address Book and compare them...

iChat should be at Version 4.0.3 (605)

8. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I installed the combo, all is good now, I'm happy as a rat.:apple::apple:

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Isn't this what I told you to do in the other thread :confused:

10. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Lol yea, But I asked another qquestion that got lost in the ever-growing thread, so I decided to clarify, thank you btw. And everyone else. I just repaired permissions...woohoo, damn, theres a lot of stuff. And I just repaired it before the update.