My imac G3 won't recognize my new hard drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htg, May 9, 2009.

1. htg macrumors regular

I just bought a new 160GB hard drive for my iMac G3. I know that you have to format it to get the computer to recognize it but i don't know how you do this and when I try to insert my Mac OS X install disk it just comes up with installer and when I try to quit installer it only lets you restart. So my question is, how do you format a new hard drive (160GB) on an iMac g3 to get it to recognize it?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. htg thread starter macrumors regular

the only thing is that it's osx 10.1 and i don't think you can do it with 10.1

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know about a limitation in 10.1, but have you tried it at least?

You can always cancel the setup.

If that limitation exists:

Have you got another Mac at hand?

If so, you could use the other Mac to format the new drive, by booting the iMac G3 via Target Disk mode.

Target Disk Mode:
    press and hold T during startup of the iMac G3 until the following picture appears
    [​IMG]

and connect both Macs via Firewire 400 if possible.

Then use the other Mac's Disk Utility to format that iMac G3's drive, which will show up as an external drive.

5. htg thread starter macrumors regular

i've tried the firewire and the utility and both of them don't work. the weird thing is that when booting up a beeping sound can be heard but it stops after a while. is this because of the new hard drive or because of the ram (i changed that too)? it still can't detect my hard drive.