Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seb72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
A couple of nights ago I set my iMac G3 (Blueberry) to stop automatic login at start up and put it to sleep. I did this because I didn't want my kids on the web in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. When morning comes, the computer is off. I try to start it but it won't turn over. When I push the on button, the button flashes on for a split second and I hear the crackle of static as if the computer is starting, but nothing happens after that. I tried plugging and unplugging the computer, but nothing helps.

It's like a car that won't turn over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
John

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
If the screen doesn't show anything and the hard drive doesn't spin up it's unlikely to be connected with what you did to the computer before shutting it down. It may be, for example, that the on/off button no longer works properly. I can't remember, on this iMac, whether the two little buttons next to the USB ports can be used to start it up...

HB

Seb72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Hey HB:

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. :)

I tried your suggestion with the small button by the interface docks, but the computer reponds the same way. Button light goes on for a split second and the sound of static crackles. Doesn't switch on.

Thanks again.

Best,
John

If the screen doesn't show anything and the hard drive doesn't spin up it's unlikely to be connected with what you did to the computer before shutting it down. It may be, for example, that the on/off button no longer works properly. I can't remember, on this iMac, whether the two little buttons next to the USB ports can be used to start it up...

HB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.